Christian Standard Bible
Religious Hypocrisy Denounced
37 As he was speaking, a Pharisee(A) asked him to dine with him. So he went in and reclined at the table. 38 When the Pharisee saw this, he was amazed that he did not first perform the ritual washing[a](B) before dinner.(C) 39 But the Lord said to him, “Now you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed(D) and evil.(E) 40 Fools!(F) Didn’t he who made the outside make the inside too? 41 But give from what is within to the poor,[b](G) and then everything is clean(H) for you.
42 “But woe(I) to you Pharisees! You give a tenth[c](J) of mint, rue, and every kind of herb, and you bypass[d] justice(K) and love for God.[e](L) These things you should have done without neglecting the others.
45 One of the experts in the law(P) answered him, “Teacher, when you say these things you insult us too.”
47 “Woe to you! You build tombs[g] for the prophets,(S) and your fathers killed(T) them. 48 Therefore, you are witnesses(U) that you approve[h](V) the deeds of your fathers, for they killed them, and you build their monuments.[i] 49 Because of this, the wisdom of God(W) said, ‘I will send them prophets and apostles,(X) and some of them they will kill and persecute,’(Y) 50 so that this generation(Z) may be held responsible for the blood of all the prophets shed since the foundation of the world[j](AA) — 51 from the blood of Abel(AB) to the blood of Zechariah,(AC) who perished between the altar and the sanctuary.
“Yes, I tell you, this generation will be held responsible.[k]
53 When he left there,[l] the scribes and the Pharisees began to oppose(AF) him fiercely and to cross-examine him about many things; 54 they were lying in wait(AG) for him to trap him in something he said.[m](AH)Read full chapter
- 11:38 Lit he did not first wash
- 11:41 Or But donate from the heart as charity
- 11:42 Or a tithe
- 11:42 Or neglect
- 11:42 Lit the justice and the love of God
- 11:44 Other mss add scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!
- 11:47 Or graves
- 11:48 Lit witnesses and approve
- 11:48 Other mss omit their monuments
- 11:50 Lit so that the blood of all... world may be required of this generation,
- 11:51 Lit you, it will be required of this generation
- 11:53 Other mss read And as he was saying these things to them
- 11:54 Other mss add so that they might bring charges against him