1599 Geneva Bible
5 1 Of him that testifieth the truth. 4 Of him that voweth rashly. 15 Of him that by ignorance withdraweth anything dedicated to the Lord.
2 Either if one touch any unclean thing, whether it be a carrion of an unclean beast, or a carrion of unclean cattle, or a carrion of unclean creeping things, and is not ware of it, yet he is unclean, and hath offended:
3 Either if he touch any uncleanness of man (whatsoever uncleanness it be, that he is defiled with) and is not ware of it, and after cometh to the knowledge of it, he hath sinned:
4 Either if any [d]swear and pronounce with his lips to do evil, or to do good (whatsoever it be that a man shall pronounce with an oath) and it be hid from him, and after knoweth that he hath offended in one of these points,
5 When he hath sinned in any of these [e]things, then he shall confess that he hath sinned therein.
6 Therefore shall he bring his trespass offering unto the Lord for his sin which he hath committed, even a female from the flock, be it a lamb or a she goat for a sin offering, and the Priest shall make an atonement for him concerning his sin.
7 But [f]if he be not able to bring a sheep, he shall bring for his trespass which he hath committed, two turtledoves, or two young pigeons unto the Lord, one for a sin offering, and the other for a burnt offering.
8 So he shall bring them unto the Priest, who shall offer the sin offering first, and (A)wring the neck of it asunder, but not pluck it clean off.
9 After he shall sprinkle of the blood of the sin offering upon the side of the altar, and the rest of the blood shall be [g]shed at the foot of the altar: for it is a sin offering.
11 ¶ But if he (B)be not able to bring two turtledoves, or two young pigeons, then he that hath sinned, shall bring for his offering the tenth part of an [j]Ephah of fine flour for a sin offering, he shall put none [k]oil thereto, neither put any incense thereon: for it is a sin offering.
12 Then shall he bring it to the Priest, and the Priest shall take his handful of it for the (C)remembrance thereof, and burn it upon the altar (D)with the offerings of the Lord made by fire: for it is a sin offering.
13 So the Priest shall make an atonement for him, as touching his sin, that he hath committed in one of these points, and it shall be forgiven him: and the remnant shall be the Priest’s, as the meat offering.
14 ¶ And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
15 If any person transgress and sin through ignorance [l]by taking away things consecrated unto the Lord, he shall then bring for his trespass offering unto the Lord a ram without blemish out of the flock, worth two shekels of silver [m]by thy estimation after the shekel of the Sanctuary, for a trespass offering.
16 So he shall restore that wherein he hath offended, in taking away of the holy thing, and shall put the fifth part more thereto, and give it unto the Priest: so the Priest shall make an atonement for him with the ram of the trespass offering, and it shall be forgiven him.
18 Then shall he bring a ram without blemish out of the flock, in thy estimation worth (F)two shekels for a trespass offering unto the Priest: and the Priest shall make an atonement for him concerning his [o]ignorance wherein he erred, and was not ware: so it shall be forgiven him.
19 This is the trespass offering for the trespass committed against the Lord.
- Leviticus 5:1 Hebrew, a soul.
- Leviticus 5:1 Or, if the judge hath taken an oath of any other.
- Leviticus 5:1 Whereby it is commanded to bear witness to the truth, and disclose the iniquity of the ungodly.
- Leviticus 5:4 Or, vow rashly without just examination of the circumstances, and not knowing what shall be the issue of the same.
- Leviticus 5:5 Which have been mentioned before in this Chapter.
- Leviticus 5:7 Hebrew, if his hand cannot touch, meaning for his poverty.
- Leviticus 5:9 Or, poured.
- Leviticus 5:10 Or, according to the Law.
- Leviticus 5:10 Or, declare him to be purged of that sin.
- Leviticus 5:11 Which was about a pottle.
- Leviticus 5:11 As in the meat offering, Lev. 2:1.
- Leviticus 5:15 As touching the firstfruits or tithes, due to the Priests and Levites.
- Leviticus 5:15 By the estimation of the Priest, Lev. 27:12.
- Leviticus 5:17 That is, afterward remembereth that he hath sinned when his conscience doth accuse him.
- Leviticus 5:18 Else if his sin against God come of malice, he must die, Num. 15:30.