New English Translation
8 “‘Then he must take up all the fat from the sin offering bull:[a] the fat covering the entrails[b] and all the fat surrounding the entrails,[c] 9 the two kidneys with the fat on their sinews, and the protruding lobe on the liver (which he is to remove along with the kidneys)[d] 10 —just as it is taken from the ox of the peace-offering sacrifice[e]—and the priest must offer them up in smoke on the altar of burnt offering.Read full chapter
- Leviticus 4:8 tn Heb “all the fat of the bull of the sin offering he shall take up from it.”
- Leviticus 4:8 tc The MT has here the preposition עַל (ʿal, “on, upon” [i.e., “which covers on the entrails,” as awkward in Hebrew as it is in English]), but Smr, LXX, Syriac, and Targums read אֶת (ʾet), which is what would be expected (i.e., “which covers the entrails”; cf. Lev 3:3, 9, 14). It may have been mistakenly inserted here under the influence of “on (עַל) the entrails” at the end of the verse.
- Leviticus 4:8 tn Heb “and all the fat on the entrails.” The fat layer that covers the entrails as a whole (i.e., “that covers the entrails”) is different from the fat that surrounds and adheres to the various organs (“on the entrails,” i.e., surrounding them; J. Milgrom, Leviticus [AB], 1:205-7).
- Leviticus 4:9 tn Heb “and the protruding lobe on the liver on the kidneys he shall remove it.”
- Leviticus 4:10 tn Heb “taken up from”; KJV, ASV “taken off from”; NAB, NASB, NIV, NRSV “removed.” See the notes on Lev 3:3-4 above (cf. also 3:9-10, 14-15).