New American Standard Bible 1995
A Prayer for Mercy
5 Remember, O Lord, what has befallen us;
Look, and see our (A)reproach!
2 Our inheritance has been turned over to (B)strangers,
Our (C)houses to aliens.
3 We have become orphans (D)without a father,
Our mothers are like widows.
4 [a]We have to pay for our drinking (E)water,
Our wood comes to us at a price.
5 [b]Our pursuers are at our necks;
We are worn out, there is (F)no rest for us.
6 We have [c]submitted to (G)Egypt and Assyria [d]to get enough bread.
7 Our (H)fathers sinned, and are no more;
It is we who have borne their iniquities.
8 (I)Slaves rule over us;
There is (J)no one to deliver us from their hand.
9 We get our bread [e]at the (K)risk of our lives
[f]Because of the sword in the wilderness.
10 Our skin has become as (L)hot as an oven,
Because of [g]the burning heat of famine.
11 They ravished the (M)women in Zion,
The virgins in the cities of Judah.
12 Princes were hung by their hands;
[h](N)Elders were not respected.
13 Young men [i](O)worked at the grinding mill,
And youths (P)stumbled under loads of wood.
14 Elders [j]are gone from the gate,
Young men from their (Q)music.
15 The joy of our hearts has (R)ceased;
Our dancing has been turned into mourning.
16 The (S)crown has fallen from our head;
(T)Woe to us, for we have sinned!
17 Because of this our (U)heart is faint,
Because of these things our (V)eyes are dim;
18 Because of (W)Mount Zion which lies desolate,
(X)Foxes prowl in it.
19 (Y)You, O Lord, [k]rule forever;
Your (Z)throne is from generation to generation.
20 Why do You (AA)forget us forever?
Why do You forsake us [l]so long?
21 (AB)Restore us to You, O Lord, that we may be restored;
Renew (AC)our days as of old,
22 Unless (AD)You have utterly rejected us
And are exceedingly (AE)angry with us.
- Lamentations 5:4 Lit We drink our water for silver
- Lamentations 5:5 Lit We have been pursued upon
- Lamentations 5:6 Lit given the hand to
- Lamentations 5:6 Lit to be satisfied with
- Lamentations 5:9 Lit with our soul
- Lamentations 5:9 Or In the face of
- Lamentations 5:10 Or the ravages of hunger
- Lamentations 5:12 Lit The faces of elders
- Lamentations 5:13 Lit carry
- Lamentations 5:14 Lit have ceased
- Lamentations 5:19 Lit sit
- Lamentations 5:20 Lit to length of days