Holman Christian Standard Bible
Lament over Jerusalem
7 During the days of her affliction and homelessness(N)
Jerusalem remembers all her precious belongings
that were hers in days of old.
When her people fell into the adversary’s hand,
she had no one to help.
The adversaries looked at her,
laughing over her downfall.
8 Jerusalem has sinned grievously;
therefore, she has become an object of scorn.[d]
All who honored her now despise her,
for they have seen her nakedness.
She herself groans and turns away.
10 The adversary has seized
all her precious belongings.
She has even seen the nations
enter her sanctuary—
those You had forbidden
to enter Your assembly.(Q)
14 My transgressions have been formed into a yoke,[f][g](Y)
fastened together by His hand;
they have been placed on my neck,
and the Lord has broken my strength.
He has handed me over
to those I cannot withstand.
17 Zion stretches out her hands;
there is no one to comfort her.
The Lord has issued a decree against Jacob
that his neighbors should be his adversaries.
Jerusalem has become
something impure(AE) among them.
21 People have heard me groaning,(AL)
but there is no one to comfort me.
All my enemies have heard of my misfortune;
they are glad that You have caused it.(AM)
Bring on the day You have announced,
so that they may become like me.(AN)
22 Let all their wickedness come before You,
and deal with them
as You have dealt with me
because of all my transgressions.(AO)
For my groans are many,
and I am sick at heart.
- Lamentations 1:1 The stanzas in Lm 1–4 form an acrostic.
- Lamentations 1:2 = Jerusalem’s political allies
- Lamentations 1:3 Or because of
- Lamentations 1:8 Or become impure
- Lamentations 1:13 DSS, LXX; MT reads bones, and it prevailed against them
- Lamentations 1:14 Some Hb mss, LXX read He kept watch over my transgressions
- Lamentations 1:14 Or The yoke of my transgressions is bound; Hb obscure
- Lamentations 1:15 Or has announced an appointed time
- Lamentations 1:16 Lit my eye, my eye flows
- Lamentations 1:20 Lit is turned within me