New English Translation
29 His disciples said, “Look, now you are speaking plainly[a] and not in obscure figures of speech![b] 30 Now we know that you know everything[c] and do not need anyone[d] to ask you anything.[e] Because of this[f] we believe that you have come from God.”
31 Jesus replied,[g] “Do you now believe?Read full chapter
- John 16:29 tn Or “openly.”
- John 16:29 tn Or “not in parables.” or “not in metaphors.”sn How is the disciples’ reply to Jesus now you are speaking plainly and not in obscure figures of speech to be understood? Their claim to understand seems a bit impulsive. It is difficult to believe that the disciples have really understood the full implications of Jesus’ words, although it is true that he spoke to them plainly and not figuratively in 16:26-28. The disciples will not fully understand all that Jesus has said to them until after his resurrection, when the Holy Spirit will give them insight and understanding (16:13).
- John 16:30 tn Grk “all things.”
- John 16:30 tn Grk “and have no need of anyone.”
- John 16:30 tn The word “anything” is not in the Greek text, but is implied. Direct objects were often omitted in Greek when clear from the context.
- John 16:30 tn Or “By this.”
- John 16:31 tn Grk “Jesus answered them.”