1599 Geneva Bible
41 1 By the greatness of this monster Leviathan, God showeth his greatness and his power, which nothing can resist.
1 None is so fierce that dare stir him up. Who is he then that can [a]stand before me?
2 Who hath prevented me that I should [b]make an end? All under heaven is mine.
3 I will not keep silence concerning [c]his parts, nor his power, nor his comely proportion.
5 Who shall [f]open the doors of his face? his teeth are fearful round about.
6 The majesty of his scales is like strong shields, and are sure sealed.
7 One is set to another, that no wind can come between them.
8 One is joined to another: they stick together, that they cannot be sundered.
9 His sneezings [g]make the light to shine, and his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning.
10 Out of his mouth go lamps, and sparks of fire leap out.
11 Out of his nostrils cometh out smoke, as out of a boiling pot or caldron.
12 His breath maketh the coals burn: for a flame goeth out of his mouth.
13 In his neck remaineth strength, and [h]labor is rejected before his face.
14 The members of his body are joined: they are strong in themselves, and cannot be moved.
15 His heart is as strong as a stone, and as hard as the nether millstone.
16 The mighty are afraid of his majesty, and for fear they faint in themselves.
17 When the sword doth touch him, he will not rise up, nor for the spear, dart nor habergeon.
18 He esteemeth iron as straw, and brass as rotten wood.
19 The archer cannot make him flee: the stones of the sling are turneth into stubble unto him.
20 The darts are counted as straw: and he laugheth at the shaking of the spear.
21 Sharp stones [i]are under him, and he spreadeth sharp things upon the mire.
22 He maketh the depth to [j]boil like a pot, and maketh the Sea like a pot of ointment.
23 He maketh a path to [k]shine after him, one would think the depth as an hoar head.
24 In the earth there is none like him: he is made without fear.
25 He beholdeth [l]all high things: he is a King over all the children of pride.
- Job 41:1 If none dare stand against a whale, which is but a creature, who is able to compare with God the Creator?
- Job 41:2 Who hath taught me to accomplish my work?
- Job 41:3 The parts and members of the whale?
- Job 41:4 That is, who dare pull off his skin?
- Job 41:4 Who dare put a bridle in his mouth?
- Job 41:5 Who dare look in his mouth?
- Job 41:9 That is, casteth out flames of fire.
- Job 41:13 Nothing is painful or hard unto him.
- Job 41:21 His skin is so hard that he lieth with a great ease on the stones as in the mire.
- Job 41:22 Either he maketh the sea to seem as it boiled by his wallowing, or else he spouteth water in such abundance as it would seem that the sea boiled.
- Job 41:23 That is, a white froth and shining stream before him.
- Job 41:25 He despiseth all other beasts and monsters, and is the proudest of all others.