1599 Geneva Bible
23 Job affirmeth that he both knoweth and feareth the power and sentence of the Judge, 10 And that he is not punished only for his sins.
1 But Job answered, and said,
2 Though my talk be this day in [a]bitterness, and my plague greater than my groaning,
3 Would God yet I knew how to find him, I would enter unto his place.
4 I would plead the cause before him, and fill my mouth with arguments.
5 I would know the words, that he would answer me, and would understand what he would say unto me.
7 [d]There the righteous might reason with him, so I should be delivered forever from my Judge.
8 [e]Behold, if I go to the East, he is not there: if to the West, yet I cannot perceive him:
9 If to the North where he worketh, yet I cannot see him: he will hide himself in the South, and I cannot behold him.
10 But he knoweth my [f]way, and trieth me, and I shall come forth like gold.
11 My foot hath followed his steps: his way have I kept, and have not declined:
12 Neither have I departed from the commandment of his lips, and I have [g]esteemed the words of his mouth more than mine appointed food.
13 Yet he is in one mind, and who can [h]turn him? yea, he doeth what his mind desireth.
14 For he will perform that which is decreed of me, and [i]many such things are with him.
15 Therefore I am troubled at his presence, and in considering it, I am afraid of him.
16 For [j]God hath softened mine heart, and the Almighty hath troubled me.
17 For I am not cut off in [k]darkness, but he hath hid the darkness from my face.
- Job 23:2 He showeth the just cause of his complaining, and as touching that Eliphaz had exhorteth him to return to God, Job 22:21, he declareth that he desireth nothing more, but it seemed that God would not be found of him.
- Job 23:6 Using his absolute power, and saying, because I am God, I may do what I will.
- Job 23:6 Of his mercy he would give me power to answer him.
- Job 23:7 When he of his mercy hath given strength to maintain their cause.
- Job 23:8 Meaning, that if he consider God’s justice, he is not able to comprehend his judgments on what side or what part soever he turneth himself.
- Job 23:10 God hath this preeminence about me, that he knoweth my way: to wit, that I am innocent, and I am not able to judge of his works: he showeth also his confidence, that God doth use him for his profit.
- Job 23:12 His word is more precious unto me, than the meat wherewith the body is sustained.
- Job 23:13 Job confesseth that at this present he felt not God’s favor, and yet was assured that he had appointed him to a good end.
- Job 23:14 In many points man is not able to attain to God’s judgments.
- Job 23:16 That I should not be without fear.
- Job 23:17 He showeth the cause of his fear, which is, that he being in trouble seeth none end, neither yet knoweth the cause.
New International Version
23 Then Job replied:
2 “Even today my complaint(A) is bitter;(B)
his hand[a] is heavy in spite of[b] my groaning.(C)
3 If only I knew where to find him;
if only I could go to his dwelling!(D)
4 I would state my case(E) before him
and fill my mouth with arguments.(F)
5 I would find out what he would answer me,(G)
and consider what he would say to me.
6 Would he vigorously oppose me?(H)
No, he would not press charges against me.(I)
7 There the upright(J) can establish their innocence before him,(K)
and there I would be delivered forever from my judge.(L)
8 “But if I go to the east, he is not there;
if I go to the west, I do not find him.
9 When he is at work in the north, I do not see him;
when he turns to the south, I catch no glimpse of him.(M)
10 But he knows the way that I take;(N)
when he has tested me,(O) I will come forth as gold.(P)
11 My feet have closely followed his steps;(Q)
I have kept to his way without turning aside.(R)
12 I have not departed from the commands of his lips;(S)
I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.(T)
13 “But he stands alone, and who can oppose him?(U)
He does whatever he pleases.(V)
14 He carries out his decree against me,
and many such plans he still has in store.(W)
15 That is why I am terrified before him;(X)
when I think of all this, I fear him.(Y)
16 God has made my heart faint;(Z)
the Almighty(AA) has terrified me.(AB)
17 Yet I am not silenced by the darkness,(AC)
by the thick darkness that covers my face.