International Standard Version
A Prophecy against the Philistines
47 This is[a] the message from the Lord that came to Jeremiah the prophet concerning the Philistines, before Pharaoh conquered Gaza. 2 This is what the Lord says:
“Look, waters are rising from the north,
and they’ll become an overflowing river.
They’ll overflow the land and all that fills it[b]—
the city and those that live in it.
People will cry out,
and all those living in the land will wail.
3 At the sound of the galloping hooves of his horses,[c]
at the rumbling of his chariots,
the clatter of his wheels,
fathers won’t turn back for their[d] children
because their hands are weak,
4 for the day is coming to destroy all the Philistines,
to cut off from Tyre and Sidon
every helper who remains.
For the Lord is destroying the Philistines,
the remnant of the coastlands of Caphtor.[e]
5 Baldness[f] is coming to Gaza.
Ashkelon is silenced.
Remnant of their valley,
how long will you gash yourself?[g]
6 Ah, sword of the Lord,
how long before you are quiet?
Put yourself into your scabbard,
be at rest, be silent!
7 How can it be quiet,
when the Lord has ordered disaster
to come to Ashkelon and the seashore?
That’s where he has assigned it.”
- Jeremiah 47:1 The Heb. lacks This is
- Jeremiah 47:2 Lit. its fullness
- Jeremiah 47:3 Lit. his strong ones
- Jeremiah 47:3 The Heb. lacks their
- Jeremiah 47:4 I.e. Crete and the Aegean islands from which the Philistines came
- Jeremiah 47:5 I.e. the head was shaved as a rite of mourning
- Jeremiah 47:5 I.e. people made cuts on their bodies as an act of mourning