New English Translation
16 In those days, your population will greatly increase[a] in the land. At that time,” says the Lord, “people will no longer talk about having the ark[b] that contains the Lord’s covenant with us.[c] They will not call it to mind, remember it, or miss it. No, that will not be done anymore![d] 17 At that time the city of Jerusalem will be called the Lord’s throne. All nations will gather there in Jerusalem to honor the Lord’s name.[e] They will no longer follow the stubborn inclinations of their own evil hearts.[f]Read full chapter
- Jeremiah 3:16 tn Heb “you will become numerous and fruitful.”
- Jeremiah 3:16 tn Or “chest.”
- Jeremiah 3:16 tn Heb “the ark of the covenant.” It is called this because it contained the tables of the law, which in abbreviated form constituted their covenant obligations to the Lord (cf. Exod 31:18; 32:15; 34:29).
- Jeremiah 3:16 tn Or “Nor will another one be made”; Heb “one will not do/make [it?] again.”
- Jeremiah 3:17 tn Heb “will gather to the name of the Lord.”
- Jeremiah 3:17 tn Heb “the stubbornness of their evil hearts.”