Disciples’ Literal New Testament
1 James, a slave of God and the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes in the dispersion: Greetings.
Endure Your Trials With Joy, Asking God For Wisdom And Viewing Life From His Standpoint
2 Regard it all joy, my brothers, whenever you fall-into[a] various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith is producing endurance. 4 And let endurance be having its complete[b] work in order that you may be complete and whole, lacking in nothing. 5 And if any of you is lacking wisdom, let him be asking from the God giving generously to all and not reproaching[c], and it will be given to him. 6 But let him be asking in faith, not doubting[d] at all. For the one doubting is like a surge of the sea being blown-by-wind and tossed. 7 For let that person not be supposing that he will receive anything from the Lord— 8 a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. 9 And let the lowly[e] brother be boasting in his height, 10 and the rich one in his lowliness, because he will pass-away like a flower of grass. 11 For the sun rose with the burning-heat and dried-up the grass, and its flower fell-off and the beauty of its appearance perished. In this manner also the rich one will fade-away in his pursuits. 12 Blessed[f] is the man who endures the trial, because having become[g] approved, he will receive the crown of [h] life which He promised to the ones loving Him.
But Temptation To Evil Comes From Within, Not From God
13 Let no one being tempted be saying that “I am being tempted by[i] God”. For God is not-tempted by evils. And He Himself tempts no one, 14 but each one is tempted by[j] his own desire while being drawn-away[k] and enticed[l]. 15 Then the desire, having conceived, gives-birth to sin. And the sin, having been fully-formed[m], brings-forth death. 16 Do not be deceived!
Receive God’s Lifegiving Gift of The Implanted Word With Gentleness Toward Others, Not Anger
My[n] beloved brothers, 17 every good gift-giving[o] and every perfect gift-given is from-above, coming down from the Father of lights[p], with Whom there is no variation[q] or shadow[r] of turning. 18 Having willed[s] it, He brought[t] us forth by the word of truth so that we might be a kind-of firstfruit of His creatures. 19 You know[u] this, my beloved brothers, but[v] let every person be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow into anger. 20 For the anger of a man does not produce[w] the righteousness of God. 21 Therefore having laid-aside all filthiness and abundance[x] of badness, receive with gentleness the implanted word being able to save your souls.
But Be Doers of The Word, Not Hearers Only
22 But be[y] doers of the word and not hearers only, deluding[z] yourselves. 23 Because if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, this one is like a man considering[aa] the face of his birth[ab] in a mirror. 24 For he considered himself and has gone-away and immediately forgot[ac] what-sort of man he was. 25 But the one having looked into the perfect law of liberty and having continued, not having become a forgetful[ad] hearer, but a doer of work— this one will be blessed in his doing. 26 If anyone thinks that he is religious while not bridling[ae] his tongue, but deceiving his heart, the religion[af] of this one is worthless[ag]. 27 This is pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father— to be looking-after orphans and widows in their affliction; to be keeping oneself unspotted by the world.
- James 1:2 Or, encounter.
- James 1:4 Or, perfect, finished.
- James 1:5 Or, reprimanding, scolding.
- James 1:6 Or, being divided in the mind, wavering, disputing with himself.
- James 1:9 Or, materially poor, humble.
- James 1:12 Or, Fortunate (from God’s point of view).
- James 1:12 Or, been.
- James 1:12 That is, consisting of, belonging to.
- James 1:13 Or from.
- James 1:14 by his own desire... enticed. Or, while being drawn-away and enticed by his own desire.
- James 1:14 Or, pulled-out.
- James 1:14 Or, baited, lured, entrapped.
- James 1:15 Or, having been brought to completion, having run its course.
- James 1:16 Others start this next main section with v 19. See the note there.
- James 1:17 Or, act-of-giving.
- James 1:17 That is, Creator of sun, moon, and stars.
- James 1:17 Or, change.
- James 1:17 That is, shadow caused by turning, such as when a light moves around an object. In other words, the changing creation does not cause changes in God.
- James 1:18 Or, wished, wanted, desired.
- James 1:18 That is, gave us spiritual birth.
- James 1:19 Others start the new point here, taking this as a command (‘Know this’) to know or understand what follows, and omitting ‘but’.
- James 1:19 That is, you know the gift of salvation comes down from God, who brought us forth by the word of truth, but receive this word not with anger toward others, but with gentleness. As seen in Acts 11, 15 and 21, this was an issue for some Jewish Christians.
- James 1:20 Or, accomplish, work, bring about.
- James 1:21 Or, overflow, surplus.
- James 1:22 Or, become.
- James 1:22 That is, deluding yourselves that you have genuinely received God’s word.
- James 1:23 Or, looking-closely-at.
- James 1:23 Or, existence. That is, his natural face.
- James 1:24 He saw himself as he is, but it had no lasting effect on him.
- James 1:25 Lit, hearer characterized by forgetfulness.
- James 1:26 Or, restraining, controlling.
- James 1:26 Or, worship, religious service.
- James 1:26 Or, futile, pointless.