Contemporary English Version
18 I know everything you do and think! The time has now come[a] to bring together the people of every language and nation and to show them my glory 19 by proving what I can do.[b] I will send the survivors to Tarshish, Pul,[c] Lud, Meshech,[d] Tubal, Javan,[e] and to the distant islands. I will send them to announce my wonderful glory to nations that have never heard about me.
20 They will bring your relatives from the nations as an offering to me, the Lord. They will come on horses, chariots, wagons, mules, and camels[f] to Jerusalem, my holy mountain. It will be like the people of Israel bringing the right offering to my temple. 21 I promise that some of them will be priests and others will be helpers in my temple. I, the Lord, have spoken.Read full chapter
- 66.18 I. . . come: One possible meaning for the difficult Hebrew text.
- 66.19 by. . . do: One possible meaning for the difficult Hebrew text.
- 66.19 Pul: Hebrew; one ancient translation “Put,” a country in Africa, but neither the location of Pul or Put is known for certain.
- 66.19 Meshech: One ancient translation; Hebrew “those who use bows and arrows.”
- 66.19 Tarshish. . . Javan: Tarshish may have been a Phoenician city in Spain; Put (see note on Pul) and Lud were African people; Meshech and Tubal were regions south or southeast of the Black Sea; the Javan were people of Asia Minor and the Greek islands.
- 66.20 camels: One possible meaning for the difficult Hebrew text.