International Standard Version
The Vindication of Jerusalem
62 “And[a] I won’t remain silent,[b]
and for Jerusalem’s sake I won’t stay quiet,
until her vindication shines out like brightness,
and her salvation like a burning torch.
2 The nations will see your vindication,
and all the kings your glory;
and people will call you[c] by a new name
that the mouth of the Lord will bestow.
3 You will be a crown of splendor in the Lord’s hand,
and a royal diadem in the hand of your God.
4 And[d] you’ll no longer be called ‘Deserted,’
and your land will no longer be called ‘Desolate’;
but people will call you[e] ‘Hephzibah,’[f]
and your land ‘Beulah’[g]—
for the Lord will take delight in you,
and your land will be married.”
5 “For just as[h] a young man marries a maiden,
so your sons will marry you;
and just as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride,
so your God will rejoice over you.
6 “Upon your walls, Jerusalem,
I have posted watchmen;
all day and all night
they won’t[i] remain silent.
You who make mention of the Lord,
take no rest,
7 and give him no rest
until he prepares, establishes[j] and makes Jerusalem
a song of praise throughout the earth.
8 “The Lord has sworn by his right hand
and by his mighty arm:[k]
‘I will never again give your grain[l]
as food for your enemies;
never[m] again will foreigners drink your new wine
for which you have toiled;
9 but surely[n] those who harvest it will eat it
and praise the name of[o] the Lord,
and those who gather it will drink it
in the courts of my sanctuary,’ says your God.”[p]
The Coming of God to Reign
10 “Pass through[q] the gates!
prepare the way for the people!
Build up! Build up the highway!
Clear it of stumbling stones,[r]
speak among the peoples.[s]
11 Here is the Lord!
Proclaim[t] to the ends[u] of the earth,
say to the inhabitants[v] of Zion:
‘See, your salvation is coming!
See, his reward is with him,
and his recompenses are[w] before him.’
12 People will call them, ‘The Holy People,’
‘The Redeemed of the Lord’;
and they will call you,[x] ‘Sought After,’
‘The City Not Deserted.’”
- Isaiah 62:1 So 1QIsaa; MT LXX read And for Zion’s sake
- Isaiah 62:1 1QIsaa and MT use different Hebrew verbs for silent
- Isaiah 62:2 So 1QIsaa; MT reads and you will be called; LXX reads he will call you
- Isaiah 62:4 So 1QIsaa LXX; MT lacks And
- Isaiah 62:4 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT lacks will call you
- Isaiah 62:4 The Heb. word Hephzibah means My Delight is in Her
- Isaiah 62:4 The Heb. word Beulah means Married
- Isaiah 62:5 So 1QIsaa LXX; 1QIsab MT lack For just as
- Isaiah 62:6 So 1QIsaa 1QIsab; MT LXX read never
- Isaiah 62:7 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT LXX read he establishes
- Isaiah 62:8 I.e. the Messiah
- Isaiah 62:8 So 1QIsaa 1QIsab; MT reads I will never give your grain again
- Isaiah 62:8 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT LXX read and never
- Isaiah 62:9 So 1QIsaa LXX; 1QIsab MT lack but surely
- Isaiah 62:9 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT LXX lack the name of
- Isaiah 62:9 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT LXX lack says your God
- Isaiah 62:10 So 1QIsaa LXX; 1QIsab MT read Pass through! Pass through
- Isaiah 62:10 So 1QIsaa; cf. Isa 8:14; 1QIsab MT LXX read of stones
- Isaiah 62:10 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT LXX read raise a banner over the peoples
- Isaiah 62:11 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT LXX read See, the Lord has proclaimed
- Isaiah 62:11 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT LXX read end
- Isaiah 62:11 Lit. daughter
- Isaiah 62:11 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT read recompense is; 1QIsab MT LXX read work is
- Isaiah 62:12 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT LXX read you will be called