1599 Geneva Bible
61 1 He prophesieth that Christ shall be anointed, and sent to preach. 10 The joy of the faithful.
1 The (A)Spirit of the Lord God is [a]upon me, therefore hath the Lord anointed me: he hath sent me to preach good tidings unto the poor, to bind up the [b]broken hearted, to preach liberty to the [c]captives, and to them that are bound, the opening of the prison,
3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, and to give unto them beauty for [f]ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of gladness for the spirit of heaviness, that they might be called [g]trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified.
4 And they shall build the old waste places, and raise up the former desolations, and they shall repair the cities that were desolate and waste through many [h]generations.
5 And the strangers shall [i]stand and feed your sheep, and the sons of the strangers shall be your plowmen, and dressers of your vines.
8 For I the Lord love judgment, and hate [p]robbery for burnt offering, and I will direct their work in truth, and I will make an everlasting covenant with them.
9 And [q]their seed shall be known among the Gentiles, and their buds among the people. All that see them, shall know them, that they are the seed which the Lord hath blessed.
10 [r]I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, and my soul shall be joyful in my God: for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, and covered me with the robe of righteousness: he hath decked me like a bridegroom, and as a bride attireth herself with her jewels.
11 For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the garden causeth to grow that which is sown in it: so the Lord God will cause righteousness to grow, and praise before all the heathen.
- Isaiah 61:1 Thus appertaineth to all the Prophets and ministers of God, but chiefly to Christ, of whose abundant graces everyone receiveth according as it pleaseth him to distribute.
- Isaiah 61:1 To them that are lively touched with the feeling of their sins.
- Isaiah 61:1 Which are in the bondage of sin.
- Isaiah 61:2 The time when it pleased God to show his good favor to man, which S. Paul calleth the fullness of time, Gal. 4:4.
- Isaiah 61:2 For when God delivereth his Church, he punisheth his enemies.
- Isaiah 61:3 Which was the sign of mourning.
- Isaiah 61:3 Trees that bring forth good fruits, as Matt. 3:8.
- Isaiah 61:4 That is, for a long time.
- Isaiah 61:5 They shall be ready to serve you in all your necessities.
- Isaiah 61:6 This is accomplished in the time of Christ, by whom all the faithful are made Priests and Kings, 1 Pet. 2:9; Rev. 1:6 and 5:10.
- Isaiah 61:6 Read Isa. 6:11, 16.
- Isaiah 61:7 Abundant recompense, as this word is used, Isa. 40:2.
- Isaiah 61:7 That is, the Jews.
- Isaiah 61:7 To wit, of the Gentiles.
- Isaiah 61:7 Whereas the Gentiles had dominion over the Jews in times past, now they shall have double authority over them and possess twice so much.
- Isaiah 61:8 I will not receive their offerings which are extortioners, deceivers, hypocrites, or that deprive me of my glory.
- Isaiah 61:9 That is, of the Church.
- Isaiah 61:10 He showeth what shall be the affection, when they feel this their deliverance.