International Standard Version
The Future of Israel’s Land
35 “The desert and the dry land will rejoice;
the desert will celebrate and blossom. Like crocuses,
2 it will burst into bloom,
and rejoice with gladness and shouts of joy.
The glory of Lebanon will be given to it,
the splendor of Carmel and Sharon.
They will see the glory of the Lord,
the splendor of our God.[a]
3 Strengthen the feeble hands,
and support the stumbling knees.
4 Say to those with anxious hearts,
‘Be strong, do not be afraid!
Here is your God—
he will bring[b] vengeance,
he will bring[c] divine retribution,
and he will save you.’
5 “Then the eyes of the blind will be opened,
and the ears of the deaf unblocked;
6 then the lame will leap like deer,
and the tongues of speechless people will sing for joy.
Yes, waters will gush forth in the wilderness,
and streams will run[d] through the desert;
7 the burning sands will become a pool,
and the thirsty ground fountains of water.
In the haunts of jackals there will be
a verdant resting place with[e] reeds and rushes.”
God’s Holy Highway
8 “A highway will be there—yes, there—[f]
and people will call it[g] ‘The Holy Way’.[h]
As for unclean people,
they will not journey on it,
but it will be for whomever[i] is traveling on that Way—
not even fools will get lost.
9 No lions will be there—
no—[j] nor will any ferocious beasts get up on it,
and[k] they will not be found there.
“But the redeemed will walk there,
10 and the Lord’s ransomed ones will return
and enter Zion with singing.
Everlasting joy will rest upon their heads,
gladness and joy will overtake them,[l]
and sorrow and mourning will flee away.”
- Isaiah 35:2 So MT LXX 1QIsaa corrector; 1QIsaa lacks vss. 1-2
- Isaiah 35:4 So 1QIsaa LXX; MT reads he will come
- Isaiah 35:4 So 1QIsaa; MT LXX read he will come
- Isaiah 35:6 So 1QIsaa; MT LXX lack will run
- Isaiah 35:7 So 1QIsaa; MT reads is her resting place; the grass will become
- Isaiah 35:8 So 1QIsaa; MT LXX lack yes, there
- Isaiah 35:8 So 1QIsaa; MT LXX read it will be called
- Isaiah 35:8 So 1QIsaa LXX; MT reads Way, yes, Way
- Isaiah 35:8 So 1QIsaa; MT reads but it will be for the one; cf. LXX
- Isaiah 35:9 So 1QIsaa; MT LXX lack no
- Isaiah 35:9 So 1QIsaa LXX; the Heb. lacks and
- Isaiah 35:10 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsaa corrector lacks them; MT reads they will attain gladness and joy