International Standard Version
Praise to the Victorious God
25 Lord, you are my God;
I will exalt you and praise your name,
for you have done marvelous things,
plans made long ago in faithfulness and truth.
2 For you have made the city a heap of rubble,
the fortified city into a ruin;
the foreigners’ citadel[a] is no longer a city—
it will never be rebuilt!
3 Therefore strong peoples will glorify you;
cities of ruthless nations will revere you.
4 For you have been a stronghold for the poor,
a stronghold for the needy in distress,
a shelter from the storm
and a shade from the heat—
for the blistering attack[b] from the ruthless
is like a rainstorm beating against a wall,
5 and the noise of foreigners is like the heat of the desert.
Just as you subdue heat by the shade of clouds,
so the victory songs of violent men will be stilled.
Celebration of the Righteous
6 “On this mountain,[c] the Lord of the Heavenly Armies will prepare for all peoples
a banquet of rich food,
a banquet of well-aged wines—
rich food full of marrow,
and refined wines of the finest[d] vintage
7 And on this mountain,[e] he will swallow up
the burial[f] shroud that enfolds all peoples,
the veil that is spread over all nations—
8 he has swallowed up[g] death forever!
Then the Lord God will wipe away the tears from all faces,
and he will take away the disgrace of his people
from the entire earth.”
for the Lord has spoken.
9 “And you[h] will say at that time,[i]
‘Look! It’s the Lord![j] This is our God!
We waited for him,
and he saved us.
This is the Lord!
We waited for him,
so let us rejoice,
and we will[k] be glad that he has saved us.”
The Misery of Moab
10 For the Lord’s power[l] will rest on this mountain,[m]
but the Moabites will be trodden down beneath him,
just as straw is trodden down
in the slime of[n] a manure pit.
11 They will spread out their hands in the thick of it,
just as swimmers spread out their hands to swim,
but the Lord will bring down their pride,
together with the cleverness of their hands.
12 He brings down the high fortifications of your walls
and lays them low;
he will raze them[o] to the ground,
right down to the dust.
- Isaiah 25:2 So 1QIsaa MT; MTmss LXX read citadel of arrogant people
- Isaiah 25:4 1QIsaa MT lack attack
- Isaiah 25:6 I.e. Mount Zion; cf. 24:23
- Isaiah 25:6 1QIsaa MT lack the finest
- Isaiah 25:7 I.e. Mount Zion; cf. 24:23
- Isaiah 25:7 So 1QIsaa; the Heb. lacks burial
- Isaiah 25:8 So 1QIsaa MTms; MT reads And he will swallow up; cf. LXX Syr Theodotian 1Cor 15:54
- Isaiah 25:9 So 1QIsaa Syriac; 4QIsac MT read he; LXX reads they
- Isaiah 25:9 Lit. say on that day
- Isaiah 25:9 So 1QIsaa; MT LXX lack It’s the Lord
- Isaiah 25:9 So 1QIsaa; MT reads and let us
- Isaiah 25:10 Lit. hand
- Isaiah 25:10 I.e. Mount Zion; cf. 24:23
- Isaiah 25:10 Lit. in the water of; so 1QIsaa MT; MTqere reads in; LXX reads in wagons
- Isaiah 25:12 Or reach; so 1QIsaa; 4QIsac MT read he casts them