International Standard Version
A Rebuke to Cush
18 Woe to the land of whirring wings
that is beyond the rivers of Cush,[a]
2 which sends envoys by the sea,[b]
in papyrus boats over the water!
Go, swift messengers,
to a tall, smooth-skinned nation,
to a people feared far and wide,
a nation that metes out[c] punishment[d] and oppresses,
whose land the rivers divide.
3 All you inhabitants of the world,
you who live on the earth,
when a banner is raised on the mountains,
you’ll see it.
When a trumpet sounds,
you’ll hear it!
4 For this is what the Lord told me:
“I will remain quiet and watch in my dwelling place
like dazzling heat in sunshine,
like a cloud of dew in the heat[e] of harvest.”
5 For before the harvest, when the season of[f] budding is over,
and sour grapes ripen into mature grapes,[g]
he cuts off the shoots with pruning knives,
clearing away the spreading branches
as he lops them off.
6 And[h] they will all be left
for birds of prey that live on the mountains[i]
and for wild animals.[j]
Birds of prey will pass the summer feeding on them,
and all the wild animals[k] will pass the winter feeding[l] on them.
7 At that time tribute will be brought to the Lord of the Heavenly Armies
from[m] a tall and smooth-skinned people,
from a people feared far and wide,
a nation that metes out[n] punishment[o] and oppresses,
whose land the rivers divide,
to Mount Zion,
the place that bears[p] the name of the Lord.[q]
- Isaiah 18:1 I.e. Nubia, south of Egypt (modern northern Sudan)
- Isaiah 18:2 Or Nile
- Isaiah 18:2 Or nation of strange speech; so 1QIsaa MT; LXX reads nation without hope
- Isaiah 18:2 1QIsaa MT LXX lack punishment
- Isaiah 18:4 So 1QIsaa MT; MTmss LXX read on the day
- Isaiah 18:5 1QIsaa MT lack season of
- Isaiah 18:5 Lit. flowers
- Isaiah 18:6 So 1QIsaa MT LXX; 4QIsab lacks And
- Isaiah 18:6 So 4QIsab; 1QIsaa MT read of mountains; LXX reads mountains of heaven
- Isaiah 18:6 Lit. for beasts of the earth; i.e. non-domesticated animals, as opposed to domesticated livestock;
- Isaiah 18:6 Lit. the beasts of the earth; so 1QIsaa; i.e. non-domesticated animals, as opposed to domesticated livestock; MT LXX read every beast of the field
- Isaiah 18:6 1QIsaa MT lack feeding
- Isaiah 18:7 So 1QIsaa LXX; 4QIsab MT lack from
- Isaiah 18:7 Or nation of strange speech; so 1QIsaa MT; LXX reads nation with hope
- Isaiah 18:7 1QIsaa MT LXX lack punishment
- Isaiah 18:7 Lit. place of
- Isaiah 18:7 So 1QIsaa; 4QIsab MT LXX read the Lord of the Heavenly Armies
Copyright © 1995-2014 by ISV Foundation. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED INTERNATIONALLY. Used by permission of Davidson Press, LLC.