New International Version
3 “Reuben, you are my firstborn,(C)
my might, the first sign of my strength,(D)
excelling in honor,(E) excelling in power.
4 Turbulent as the waters,(F) you will no longer excel,
for you went up onto your father’s bed,
onto my couch and defiled it.(G)
5 “Simeon(H) and Levi(I) are brothers—
their swords[a] are weapons of violence.(J)
6 Let me not enter their council,
let me not join their assembly,(K)
for they have killed men in their anger(L)
and hamstrung(M) oxen as they pleased.
7 Cursed be their anger, so fierce,
and their fury,(N) so cruel!(O)
I will scatter them in Jacob
and disperse them in Israel.(P)
8 “Judah,[b](Q) your brothers will praise you;
your hand will be on the neck(R) of your enemies;
your father’s sons will bow down to you.(S)
9 You are a lion’s(T) cub,(U) Judah;(V)
you return from the prey,(W) my son.
Like a lion he crouches and lies down,
like a lioness—who dares to rouse him?
10 The scepter will not depart from Judah,(X)
nor the ruler’s staff from between his feet,[c]
until he to whom it belongs[d] shall come(Y)
and the obedience of the nations shall be his.(Z)
11 He will tether his donkey(AA) to a vine,
his colt to the choicest branch;(AB)
he will wash his garments in wine,
his robes in the blood of grapes.(AC)
12 His eyes will be darker than wine,
his teeth whiter than milk.[e](AD)
14 “Issachar(AG) is a rawboned[f] donkey
lying down among the sheep pens.[g](AH)
15 When he sees how good is his resting place
and how pleasant is his land,(AI)
he will bend his shoulder to the burden(AJ)
and submit to forced labor.(AK)
16 “Dan[h](AL) will provide justice for his people
as one of the tribes of Israel.(AM)
17 Dan(AN) will be a snake by the roadside,
a viper along the path,(AO)
that bites the horse’s heels(AP)
so that its rider tumbles backward.
22 “Joseph(AZ) is a fruitful vine,(BA)
a fruitful vine near a spring,
whose branches(BB) climb over a wall.[k]
23 With bitterness archers attacked him;(BC)
they shot at him with hostility.(BD)
24 But his bow remained steady,(BE)
his strong arms(BF) stayed[l] limber,
because of the hand of the Mighty One of Jacob,(BG)
because of the Shepherd,(BH) the Rock of Israel,(BI)
25 because of your father’s God,(BJ) who helps(BK) you,
because of the Almighty,[m](BL) who blesses you
with blessings of the skies above,
blessings of the deep springs below,(BM)
blessings of the breast(BN) and womb.(BO)
26 Your father’s blessings are greater
than the blessings of the ancient mountains,
than[n] the bounty of the age-old hills.(BP)
Let all these rest on the head of Joseph,(BQ)
on the brow of the prince among[o] his brothers.(BR)
- Genesis 49:5 The meaning of the Hebrew for this word is uncertain.
- Genesis 49:8 Judah sounds like and may be derived from the Hebrew for praise.
- Genesis 49:10 Or from his descendants
- Genesis 49:10 Or to whom tribute belongs; the meaning of the Hebrew for this phrase is uncertain.
- Genesis 49:12 Or will be dull from wine, / his teeth white from milk
- Genesis 49:14 Or strong
- Genesis 49:14 Or the campfires; or the saddlebags
- Genesis 49:16 Dan here means he provides justice.
- Genesis 49:19 Gad sounds like the Hebrew for attack and also for band of raiders.
- Genesis 49:21 Or free; / he utters beautiful words
- Genesis 49:22 Or Joseph is a wild colt, / a wild colt near a spring, / a wild donkey on a terraced hill
- Genesis 49:24 Or archers will attack … will shoot … will remain … will stay
- Genesis 49:25 Hebrew Shaddai
- Genesis 49:26 Or of my progenitors, / as great as
- Genesis 49:26 Or of the one separated from