New International Version
31 When the Lord saw that Leah was not loved,(A) he enabled her to conceive,(B) but Rachel remained childless. 32 Leah became pregnant and gave birth to a son.(C) She named him Reuben,[a](D) for she said, “It is because the Lord has seen my misery.(E) Surely my husband will love me now.”
4 So she gave him her servant Bilhah as a wife.(S) Jacob slept with her,(T) 5 and she became pregnant and bore him a son. 6 Then Rachel said, “God has vindicated me;(U) he has listened to my plea and given me a son.”(V) Because of this she named him Dan.[e](W)
9 When Leah(AA) saw that she had stopped having children,(AB) she took her servant Zilpah(AC) and gave her to Jacob as a wife.(AD) 10 Leah’s servant Zilpah(AE) bore Jacob a son. 11 Then Leah said, “What good fortune!”[g] So she named him Gad.[h](AF)
14 During wheat harvest,(AJ) Reuben went out into the fields and found some mandrake plants,(AK) which he brought to his mother Leah. Rachel said to Leah, “Please give me some of your son’s mandrakes.”
15 But she said to her, “Wasn’t it enough(AL) that you took away my husband? Will you take my son’s mandrakes too?”
“Very well,” Rachel said, “he can sleep with you tonight in return for your son’s mandrakes.”(AM)
16 So when Jacob came in from the fields that evening, Leah went out to meet him. “You must sleep with me,” she said. “I have hired you with my son’s mandrakes.”(AN) So he slept with her that night.
19 Leah conceived again and bore Jacob a sixth son. 20 Then Leah said, “God has presented me with a precious gift. This time my husband will treat me with honor,(AR) because I have borne him six sons.” So she named him Zebulun.[k](AS)
21 Some time later she gave birth to a daughter and named her Dinah.(AT)
22 Then God remembered Rachel;(AU) he listened to her(AV) and enabled her to conceive.(AW) 23 She became pregnant and gave birth to a son(AX) and said, “God has taken away my disgrace.”(AY) 24 She named him Joseph,[l](AZ) and said, “May the Lord add to me another son.”(BA)
- Genesis 29:32 Reuben sounds like the Hebrew for he has seen my misery; the name means see, a son.
- Genesis 29:33 Simeon probably means one who hears.
- Genesis 29:34 Levi sounds like and may be derived from the Hebrew for attached.
- Genesis 29:35 Judah sounds like and may be derived from the Hebrew for praise.
- Genesis 30:6 Dan here means he has vindicated.
- Genesis 30:8 Naphtali means my struggle.
- Genesis 30:11 Or “A troop is coming!”
- Genesis 30:11 Gad can mean good fortune or a troop.
- Genesis 30:13 Asher means happy.
- Genesis 30:18 Issachar sounds like the Hebrew for reward.
- Genesis 30:20 Zebulun probably means honor.
- Genesis 30:24 Joseph means may he add.