International Standard Version
Descendants and Nations from Noah
2 Japheth’s descendants included[c] Gomer, Magog, Madai, Javan, Tubal, Meshech, and Tiras.
3 Gomer’s descendants included Ashkenaz, Riphath, and Togarmah.
6 Ham’s descendants included Cush, Egypt, Put, and Canaan.
7 Cush’s descendants included Seba, Havilah, Sabtah, Raamah, and Sabteca.
Raamah’s descendants included Sheba and Dedan.
8 Cush fathered Nimrod, who became the first fearless[f] leader throughout the land. 9 He became a fearless[g] hunter in defiance of[h] the Lord. That is why it is said, “Like Nimrod, a fearless hunter in defiance of[i] the Lord.” 10 His kingdom began in the region[j] of Shinar[k] with the cities of[l] Babylon, Erech,[m] Akkad, and Calneh. 11 From there[n] he went north[o] to Assyria and built Nineveh, Rehoboth-ir, and Calah, 12 along with Resen, which was located between Nineveh and the great city of Calah.
13 Egypt fathered the Ludites, the Anamites, the Lehabites, the Naphtuhites, 14 the Pathrusites, the Casluhites (from which came the Philistines), and the Caphtorites.
15 Canaan fathered Sidon his firstborn, along with the Hittites, 16 the Jebusites, the Amorites, the Girgashites, 17 the Hivites, the Arkites, the Sinites, 18 the Arvadites, the Zemarites, and the Hamathites.
Later, the Canaanite families were widely scattered. 19 The Canaanite border extended south[p] from Sidon toward Gerar as far as Gaza, and east[q] toward Sodom, Gomorrah, Admah, and Zeboiim, as far as Lasha.
20 These are Ham’s descendants, listed by their families, each with their own lands, language, and family groups.
21 Shem, Japheth’s older brother, also had descendants.[r] Shem was the father of the descendants of Eber. 22 Shem’s sons included Elam, Asshur, Arpachshad, Lud, and Aram.
23 Aram’s descendants included Uz, Hul, Gether, and Mash.
24 Arpachshad fathered Cainan, Cainan fathered Shelah, and Shelah fathered Eber.[s] 25 To Eber were born two sons. One was named Peleg,[t] because the earth was divided during his lifetime. His brother was named Joktan.
26 Joktan fathered Almodad, Sheleph, Hazarmaveth, Jerah, 27 Hadoram, Uzal, Diklah, 28 Obal, Abimael, Sheba, 29 Ophir, Havilah, and Jobab. All these were Joktan’s descendants. 30 Their settlements extended from Mesha towards Sephar, the eastern hill country.
31 These are Shem’s descendants, listed by their families, each with their own lands, language, and family groups.
32 These are the families of Noah’s sons, according to their records, by their nations. From these people, the nations on the earth spread out after the flood.
- Genesis 10:1 Or generations
- Genesis 10:1 Lit. sons, and so throughout the chapter
- Genesis 10:2 The Heb. lacks included; and so throughout the chapter
- Genesis 10:4 So MT; LXX and a Heb. mss. read Rodanim; Cf. 1Chr 1:7
- Genesis 10:5 Lit. peoples
- Genesis 10:8 Or valiant
- Genesis 10:9 Or valiant
- Genesis 10:9 Lit. hunter before
- Genesis 10:9 Lit. hunter before
- Genesis 10:10 Lit. land
- Genesis 10:10 I.e. southern Mesopotamia or Babylonia
- Genesis 10:10 The Heb. lacks the cities of
- Genesis 10:10 Or Uruk
- Genesis 10:11 Lit. from that land
- Genesis 10:11 The Heb. lacks north
- Genesis 10:19 The Heb. lacks south
- Genesis 10:19 The Heb. lacks east
- Genesis 10:21 Lit. sons
- Genesis 10:24 So with LXX (cf. Gen. 11:12-13 & Luke 3:35-36); the Heb. lacks Cainan, Cainan fathered.
- Genesis 10:25 The Heb. name Peleg sounds like the Heb. verb divided