New English Translation
3 so that I may make you solemnly promise[a] by the Lord, the God of heaven and the God of the earth: You must not acquire[b] a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I am living. 4 You must go instead to my country and to my relatives[c] to find[d] a wife for my son Isaac.”Read full chapter
- Genesis 24:3 tn Following the imperative, the cohortative with the prefixed conjunction indicates purpose.
- Genesis 24:3 tn Heb “because you must not take.”
- Genesis 24:4 tn Heb “for to my country and my relatives you must go.”
- Genesis 24:4 tn Heb “and take.”
- Genesis 24:5 tn Heb “to go after me.”
- Genesis 24:5 tn In the Hebrew text the construction is emphatic; the infinitive absolute precedes the imperfect. However, it is difficult to reflect this emphasis in an English translation.