New English Translation
15 I will give all the land that you see to you and your descendants[a] forever. 16 And I will make your descendants like the dust of the earth, so that if anyone is able to count the dust of the earth, then your descendants also can be counted.[b] 17 Get up and[c] walk[d] throughout the land,[e] for I will give it to you.”Read full chapter
- Genesis 13:15 tn Heb “for all the land which you see to you I will give it and to your descendants.”
- Genesis 13:16 tn The translation “can be counted” (potential imperfect) is suggested by the use of יוּכַל (yukhal, “is able”) in the preceding clause.
- Genesis 13:17 tn The connective “and” is not present in the Hebrew text; it has been supplied for purposes of English style.
- Genesis 13:17 tn The Hitpael form הִתְהַלֵּךְ (hithallekh) means “to walk about”; it also can carry the ideas of moving about, traversing, going back and forth, or living in an area. It here has the connotation of traversing the land to survey it, to look it over.
- Genesis 13:17 tn Heb “the land to its length and to its breadth.” This phrase has not been included in the translation because it is somewhat redundant (see the note on the word “throughout” in this verse).