Lexham English Bible
A Prophecy Aimed at the King of Tyre
“Because your heart was haughty,
and you said, ‘I am a god;
I sit in the seat of the gods,
I sit in the heart of the seas!’
But[d] you are a human, not a god,
and you gave your heart to be like the heart of a god.
3 Look, are you wiser than Daniel,
so that no secret[e] is hidden from you?
4 By your wisdom and by your understanding
you have gained for yourself wealth,
and you have amassed gold and silver
in your treasuries.
5 By the abundance of your wisdom in your trading
you have increased your wealth
and your heart was proud in[f] your wealth.”’”
6 Therefore thus says the Lord Yahweh:
“Because of your regarding your mind[g]
like the mind[h] of a god,
7 therefore look! I am bringing strangers over you,
the most ruthless of the peoples,
and they will draw their swords against the beauty[i] of your wisdom,
and they will defile your splendor.
8 They will thrust you down to the pit,
and you will die a violent death[j]
in the heart of the seas.
9 Will you indeed still say[k] “I am a god!”
before the face of your killers?[l]
And in fact you are a human[m] and not a god
in the hand of those who pierce you.[n]
10 You will die the death of the uncircumcised
by the hand of strangers,
“You were a perfect model of[t] an example,
full of wisdom and perfect of beauty.
13 You were in Eden, the garden of God,
and every precious stone was your adornment:
carnelian, topaz and moonstone,[u]
turquoise, onyx and jasper,
sapphire,[v] malachite and emerald.
And gold was the craftsmanship of your settings
and your mountings in you;
on the day when you were created they were prepared.
14 You were an anointed guardian cherub,
and I placed you on God’s holy mountain;[w]
you walked in the midst of stones of fire.
15 You were blameless in your ways
from the day when you were created,[x]
until wickedness was found in you.
16 In the abundance of your trading,
they filled the midst of you with violence, and you sinned;
and I cast you as a profane thing from the mountain of God,
and I expelled you, the guardian[y] cherub,
from the midst of the stones of fire.
17 Your heart was proud because of your beauty;
you ruined your wisdom because of your splendor.
I threw you on the ground before[z] kings;
I have exposed you for viewing.[aa]
18 From the abundance of your iniquities
in the dishonesty of your trading,
I profaned your sanctuaries
and I brought fire from your midst;
it consumed you, and I have turned you to ashes on the earth
before the eyes of everyone who sees you.[ab]
19 All who know you[ac] among the peoples
are appalled over you;
you have become as horrors,
and you shall cease to exist forever.”’”[ad]
“Look! I am against you, Sidon,
and I display my glory in the midst of you,
and they will know that I am Yahweh
when I execute my judgments,[ah]
and I will show myself holy within it.
23 And I will send into it a plague,
and blood will be in its streets.
And the dead will fall in the midst of her
by the sword that is against it from all around;
and they will know that I am Yahweh.
24 And there will not be any longer[ai] a painful thorn and a sharp thornbush for[aj] the house of Israel from anywhere around them[ak] from those who are despising them,[al] and they will know that I am the Lord Yahweh.”’”
25 Thus says the Lord Yahweh: “When I gather the house of Israel from the peoples to which they were scattered about in them, and I show myself holy in[am] them before the eyes of the nations, then they will live on their soil, which I gave to my servant Jacob. 26 And they will live on it in safety, and they will build houses, and they will plant vineyards, and they will live in safety when I execute my judgments on all those who despise them from all around them,[an] and then they will know that I am Yahweh their God.”
- Ezekiel 28:1 Literally “was”
- Ezekiel 28:1 Literally “to say”
- Ezekiel 28:2 Or “mortal,” or “son of humankind”
- Ezekiel 28:2 Or “And”
- Ezekiel 28:3 Literally “all of hidden/secret”
- Ezekiel 28:5 Or “by/through”
- Ezekiel 28:6 Literally “heart”
- Ezekiel 28:6 Literally “heart”
- Ezekiel 28:7 Or “splendor”
- Ezekiel 28:8 Literally “a death of a slain”
- Ezekiel 28:9 Literally “Will you say, will you say”
- Ezekiel 28:9 Or “slayers”
- Ezekiel 28:9 Or “man”
- Ezekiel 28:9 Literally “piercers/slayers of you”
- Ezekiel 28:10 Hebrew “I, I”
- Ezekiel 28:10 Literally “declaration of”
- Ezekiel 28:11 Literally “was”
- Ezekiel 28:11 Literally “to say”
- Ezekiel 28:12 Or “mortal,” or “son of humankind”
- Ezekiel 28:12 Or “for”
- Ezekiel 28:13 Meaning of Hebrew uncertain
- Ezekiel 28:13 Or “lapis lazuli”
- Ezekiel 28:14 Literally “on the mountain of the holiness of God”
- Ezekiel 28:15 Literally “being created you”
- Ezekiel 28:16 Or “guarding”
- Ezekiel 28:17 Literally “in the face of”
- Ezekiel 28:17 Literally “to look at you”
- Ezekiel 28:18 Literally “before the eyes of all seeing you”
- Ezekiel 28:19 Literally “all of the knowers of you”
- Ezekiel 28:19 Literally “there is not you until eternity”
- Ezekiel 28:20 Literally “was”
- Ezekiel 28:20 Literally “to say”
- Ezekiel 28:21 Or “mortal,” or “son of humankind”
- Ezekiel 28:22 Literally “in/at doing in her judgments”
- Ezekiel 28:24 Literally “and not it will be again”
- Ezekiel 28:24 Or “against”
- Ezekiel 28:24 Literally “from all of all around them”
- Ezekiel 28:24 Literally “the ones despising them”
- Ezekiel 28:25 Or “among”
- Ezekiel 28:26 Literally “the ones despising them”