New English Translation
32 Moses said, “This is what[a] the Lord has commanded: ‘Fill an omer with it to be kept[b] for generations to come,[c] so that they may see[d] the food I fed you in the wilderness when I brought you out from the land of Egypt.’” 33 Moses said to Aaron, “Take a jar and put in it an omer full of manna, and place it before the Lord to be kept for generations to come.” 34 Just as the Lord commanded Moses, so Aaron placed it before the ark of the testimony[e] for safekeeping.[f]Read full chapter
- Exodus 16:32 tn Heb “This is the thing that.”
- Exodus 16:32 tn Heb “for keeping.”
- Exodus 16:32 tn Heb “according to your generations” (see Exod 12:14).
- Exodus 16:32 tn In this construction after the particle expressing purpose or result, the imperfect tense has the nuance of final imperfect, equal to a subjunctive in the classical languages.
- Exodus 16:34 sn The “ark of the testimony” (Heb “the testimony”) is a reference to the Ark of the Covenant; so the pot of manna would be placed before Yahweh in the tabernacle. W. C. Kaiser says that this later instruction came from a time after the tabernacle had been built (see Exod 25:10-22; W. C. Kaiser, Jr., “Exodus,” EBC 2:405). This is not a problem since the final part of this chapter had to have been included at the end of the forty years in the desert.
- Exodus 16:34 tn Heb “for keeping.”