New American Standard Bible
Cast Your Bread on the Waters
11 (A)Cast your bread on the surface of the waters, for you (B)will find it [a]after many days. 2 (C)Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what (D)misfortune may occur on the earth. 3 If the clouds are full, they pour out rain on the earth; and whether a tree falls toward the south or toward the north, wherever the tree falls, there it [b]lies. 4 One who watches the wind will not sow and one who looks at the clouds will not harvest. 5 Just as you do not (E)know the path of the [c]wind, and (F)how bones are formed in the womb of the [d]pregnant woman, so you do not (G)know the activity of God who makes everything.
7 The light is pleasant, and it is good for the eyes to (I)see the sun. 8 Indeed, if a person lives many years, let him (J)rejoice in them all; but let him remember the (K)days of darkness, for they will be many. Everything that is to come will be futility.
9 Rejoice, young man, during your childhood, and let your heart be pleasant during the days of young manhood. And follow the [g]impulses of your heart and the [h](L)desires of your eyes. Yet know that (M)God will bring you to judgment for all these things. 10 So remove [i]sorrow from your heart and keep [j](N)pain away from your body, because childhood and the prime of life are [k]fleeting.
- Ecclesiastes 11:1 Lit in, within
- Ecclesiastes 11:3 Lit is
- Ecclesiastes 11:5 Or with many mss spirit into the bones in the womb
- Ecclesiastes 11:5 Lit full
- Ecclesiastes 11:6 Lit let down your hand
- Ecclesiastes 11:6 Lit this or that
- Ecclesiastes 11:9 Lit ways
- Ecclesiastes 11:9 Lit sights
- Ecclesiastes 11:10 Or anger
- Ecclesiastes 11:10 Lit evil
- Ecclesiastes 11:10 Lit futility