1599 Geneva Bible
27 2 They are commanded to write the law upon stones for a remembrance. 5 Also to build an altar. 13 The cursings are given on mount Ebal.
1 Then Moses with the Elders of Israel [a]commanded the people, saying, Keep all the commandments, which I command you this day.
2 And when ye shall pass (A)over Jordan unto the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee, thou shalt set thee up great stones, and plaster them with plaster,
3 [b]And shalt write upon them all the words of this Law, when thou shalt come over, that thou mayest go into the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee: a land that floweth with milk and honey, as the Lord God of thy fathers hath promised thee.
4 Therefore when ye shall pass over Jordan, ye shall set up these stones, which I command you this day in mount Ebal, and thou shalt plaster them with plaster.
6 Thou shalt make the altar of the Lord thy God of whole stones, and offer burnt offerings thereon unto the Lord thy God.
7 And thou shalt offer peace offerings, and shalt eat there and rejoice before the Lord thy God:
8 And thou shalt write upon the stones all the words of this Law, [d]well and plainly.
9 ¶ And Moses and the Priests of the Levites, spake unto all Israel, saying, Take heed and hear, O Israel: this day thou art become the people of the Lord thy God.
10 Thou [e]shalt hearken therefore unto the voice of the Lord thy God, and do his commandments and his ordinances, which I command thee this day.
11 ¶ And Moses charged the people the same day, saying,
12 These shall stand upon mount Gerizim, to bless the people when ye shall pass over Jordan: Simeon, and Levi, and Judah, and Issachar, and [f]Joseph, and Benjamin.
13 And these shall stand upon mount Ebal, to [g]curse: Reuben, Gad, and Asher, and Zebulun, Dan, and Naphtali.
14 And the Levites shall answer and say unto all the men of Israel with a loud voice,
15 ¶ Cursed be the man that shall make any carved or molten [h]image, which is an abomination unto the Lord, the work of the hands of the craftsman, and putteth it in a secret place: And all the people shall answer and say: So be it.
16 Cursed be he that [i]curseth his father and his mother: And all the people shall say: So be it.
17 Cursed be he that removeth his neighbor’s [j]mark: And all the people shall say: So be it.
18 Cursed be he that maketh the [k]blind go out of the way: And all the people shall say: So be it.
19 Cursed be he that hindereth the right of the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow: And all the people shall say: So be it.
20 Cursed be he that lieth with his father’s wife: for he hath uncovered his father’s [l]skirt: And all the people shall say: So be it.
21 Cursed be he that lieth with any beast: And all the people shall say: So be it.
22 Cursed be he that lieth with his sister, the daughter of his father, or the daughter of his mother: And all the people shall say: So be it.
23 Cursed be he that lieth with his [m]mother-in-law: And all the people shall say: So be it.
24 Cursed be he that smiteth his neighbor [n]secretly: And all the people shall say: So be it.
25 (C)Cursed be he that taketh a reward to put to death innocent blood: And all the people shall say: So be it.
26 (D)Cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this Law, to do them: And all the people shall say: So be it.
- Deuteronomy 27:1 As God’s minister and charged with the same.
- Deuteronomy 27:3 God would that his Law should be set up in the borders of the land of Canaan, that all that looked thereon might know that the land was dedicated to his service.
- Deuteronomy 27:5 The altar should not be curiously wrought, because it should continue but for a time: for God would have but one altar in Judah.
- Deuteronomy 27:8 That everyone may well read it, and understand it.
- Deuteronomy 27:10 This condition hath bound thee unto, that if thou wilt be his people, thou must keep his laws.
- Deuteronomy 27:12 Meaning, Ephraim and Manasseh.
- Deuteronomy 27:13 Signifying, that if they would not obey God for love, they should be made to obey for fear.
- Deuteronomy 27:15 Under this he containeth all the corruptions of God’s service, and the transgression of the first Table.
- Deuteronomy 27:16 Or, contemneth: and this appertaineth to the second Table.
- Deuteronomy 27:17 He condemneth all injuries and extortions.
- Deuteronomy 27:18 Meaning, that helpeth not and counselleth not his neighbor.
- Deuteronomy 27:20 In committing villiany against him, Lev. 20:11; Deut. 22:30; Ezek. 22:10.
- Deuteronomy 27:23 Meaning, his wife’s mother.
- Deuteronomy 27:24 For God that seeth in secret, will revenge it.