New English Translation
39 He will attack[a] mighty fortresses, aided by[b] a foreign deity. To those who recognize him he will grant considerable honor. He will place them in authority over many people, and he will parcel out land for a price.[c]
40 “At the time of the end the king of the south will attack[d] him. Then the king of the north will storm against him[e] with chariots, horsemen, and a large armada of ships.[f] He[g] will invade lands, passing through them like an overflowing river.[h] 41 Then he will enter the beautiful land.[i] Many[j] will fall, but these will escape:[k] Edom, Moab, and the Ammonite leadership.Read full chapter
- Daniel 11:39 tn Heb “act against.”
- Daniel 11:39 tn Heb “with.”
- Daniel 11:39 tn Or perhaps “for a reward.”
- Daniel 11:40 tn Heb “engage in thrusting.”
- Daniel 11:40 tn The referent of the pronoun is most likely the king of the south, in which case the text describes the king of the north countering the attack of the king of the south.
- Daniel 11:40 tn Heb “many ships.”
- Daniel 11:40 tn This most likely refers to the king of the north who, in response to the aggression of the king of the south, launches an invasion of the southern regions.
- Daniel 11:40 tn Heb “and will overflow and pass over.”
- Daniel 11:41 sn The beautiful land is a cryptic reference to the land of Israel.
- Daniel 11:41 tn This can be understood as “many people” (cf. NRSV) or “many countries” (cf. NASB, NIV, NLT).
- Daniel 11:41 tn Heb “be delivered from his hand.”
New International Version
39 He will attack the mightiest fortresses with the help of a foreign god and will greatly honor those who acknowledge him. He will make them rulers over many people and will distribute the land at a price.[a]
40 “At the time of the end the king of the South(A) will engage him in battle, and the king of the North will storm(B) out against him with chariots and cavalry and a great fleet of ships. He will invade many countries and sweep through them like a flood.(C) 41 He will also invade the Beautiful Land.(D) Many countries will fall, but Edom,(E) Moab(F) and the leaders of Ammon will be delivered from his hand.Read full chapter
- Daniel 11:39 Or land for a reward