New American Standard Bible
Put On the New Self
3 Therefore, if you have been (A)raised with Christ, keep seeking the things that are above, where Christ is, (B)seated at the right hand of God. 2 [a](C)Set your minds on the things that are above, not on the things that are on earth. 3 For you have (D)died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, (E)who is our life, is revealed, (F)then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.
5 (G)Therefore, [b]treat (H)the parts of your earthly body as dead to (I)sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which [c]amounts to idolatry. 6 For it is because of these things that (J)the wrath of God is coming [d]upon the [e]sons of disobedience, 7 and (K)in them you also once walked, when you were living [f]in them. 8 But now you also, (L)rid yourselves of all of them: (M)anger, wrath, malice, slander, and (N)obscene speech from your mouth. 9 [g](O)Do not lie to one another, since you (P)stripped off the old [h]self with its evil practices, 10 and have (Q)put on the new self, which is being [i](R)renewed to a true knowledge (S)according to the image of the One who (T)created it— 11 a renewal in which (U)there is no distinction between Greek and Jew, (V)circumcised and uncircumcised, [j](W)barbarian, [k]Scythian, (X)slave, and free, but (Y)Christ is all, and in all.
12 So, as those who have been (Z)chosen of God, holy and beloved, (AA)put on a (AB)heart of compassion, kindness, (AC)humility, gentleness, and [l](AD)patience; 13 (AE)bearing with one another, and (AF)forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; (AG)just as the Lord forgave you, so must you do also. 14 In addition to all these things put on love, which is [m](AH)the perfect bond of (AI)unity. 15 Let (AJ)the peace of Christ, to which you were [n]indeed called in (AK)one body, [o]rule in your hearts; and [p]be thankful. 16 Let (AL)the word of [q]Christ richly dwell within you, [r]with all wisdom (AM)teaching and admonishing [s]one another (AN)with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, (AO)singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. 17 (AP)Whatever you do in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, (AQ)giving thanks through Him to God the Father.
18 (AR)Wives, (AS)be subject to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. 19 (AT)Husbands, love your wives and do not become bitter against them. 20 (AU)Children, obey your parents in everything, for this is pleasing [t]to the Lord. 21 (AV)Fathers, do not [u]antagonize your children, so that they will not become discouraged.
22 [v](AW)Slaves, obey those who are your [w]human masters in everything, (AX)not with [x]eye-service, as people-pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. 23 Whatever you do, do your work [y]heartily, (AY)as for the Lord and not for people, 24 (AZ)knowing that it is from the Lord that you will receive the reward [z]of (BA)the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you (BB)serve. 25 For (BC)the one who does wrong will receive the consequences of the wrong which he has done, and [aa](BD)that without partiality.
- Colossians 3:2 Or Be intent on
- Colossians 3:5 Lit put to death the parts of your body which are upon the earth
- Colossians 3:5 Lit is
- Colossians 3:6 Two early mss do not contain upon the sons of disobedience
- Colossians 3:6 I.e., people opposed to God
- Colossians 3:7 Or among these
- Colossians 3:9 Or Stop lying
- Colossians 3:9 Lit person
- Colossians 3:10 Lit renovated
- Colossians 3:11 I.e., uncultured
- Colossians 3:11 I.e., a member of an ancient people near the Black Sea, often considered unrefined
- Colossians 3:12 I.e., forbearance toward others
- Colossians 3:14 Lit the uniting bond of perfection
- Colossians 3:15 Or also
- Colossians 3:15 Or be in control in
- Colossians 3:15 Or show yourselves thankful
- Colossians 3:16 One early ms the Lord
- Colossians 3:16 Or in
- Colossians 3:16 Or one another, singing with psalms...
- Colossians 3:20 Lit in
- Colossians 3:21 Or provoke to anger
- Colossians 3:22 I.e., slaves in first-century Roman culture
- Colossians 3:22 Lit masters according to flesh
- Colossians 3:22 I.e., working only when watched
- Colossians 3:23 Lit from the soul
- Colossians 3:24 I.e., consisting of
- Colossians 3:25 Lit there is no partiality