2 Kings 6:1-7
New English Translation
Elisha Makes an Ax Head Float
6 Some of the prophets[a] said to Elisha, “Look, the place where we meet with you[b] is too cramped[c] for us. 2 Let’s go to the Jordan. Each of us will get a log from there, and we will build a meeting place for ourselves there.” He said, “Go.” 3 One of them said, “Please come along with your servants.” He replied, “All right, I’ll come.” 4 So he went with them. When they arrived at the Jordan, they started cutting down trees. 5 As one of them was felling a tree, the ax head[d] dropped into the water. He shouted, “Oh no,[e] my master! It was borrowed!” 6 The prophet[f] asked, “Where did it drop in?” When he showed him the spot, Elisha[g] cut off a branch, threw it in at that spot, and made the ax head float. 7 He said, “Lift it out.” So he reached out his hand and grabbed it.Read full chapter
- 2 Kings 6:1 tn Heb “the sons of the prophets.”
- 2 Kings 6:1 tn Heb “sit before you.”
- 2 Kings 6:1 tn Heb “narrow, tight.”
- 2 Kings 6:5 tn Heb “iron.”
- 2 Kings 6:5 tn Or “ah.”
- 2 Kings 6:6 tn Heb “man of God” (also in v. 9).
- 2 Kings 6:6 tn Heb “he”; the referent (Elisha) has been specified in the translation for clarity.