2 Kings 13:20-21
New English Translation
20 Elisha died and was buried.[a] Moabite raiding parties invaded[b] the land at the beginning of the year.[c] 21 One day some men[d] were burying a man when they spotted[e] a raiding party. So they threw the dead man[f] into Elisha’s tomb. When the body[g] touched Elisha’s bones, the dead man[h] came to life and stood on his feet.Read full chapter
- 2 Kings 13:20 tn Heb “and they buried him.”
- 2 Kings 13:20 tn Heb “entered.”
- 2 Kings 13:20 tc The MT reading בָּא שָׁנָה (baʾ shanah), “it came, year,” should probably be emended to בְּבָא הַשָּׁנָה (bevaʾ hashanah), “at the coming [i.e., ‘beginning’] of the year.” See M. Cogan and H. Tadmor, II Kings (AB), 148.
- 2 Kings 13:21 tn Heb “and it so happened [that] they.”
- 2 Kings 13:21 tn Heb “and look, they saw.”
- 2 Kings 13:21 tn Heb “the man”; the adjective “dead” has been supplied in the translation for clarity.
- 2 Kings 13:21 tn Heb “the man.”
- 2 Kings 13:21 tn Heb “he”; the referent (the dead man) has been specified in the translation for clarity. Otherwise the reader might think it was Elisha rather than the unnamed dead man who came back to life.