2 Corinthians 13
Disciples’ Literal New Testament
When I Come I Will Not Spare Those Seeking Proof of Christ Speaking In Me
13 This is the third time I am coming[a] to you. Every word shall be established based-on the mouth of two and three witnesses. 2 I have said-before and I am saying-beforehand, as being-present[b] the second time and being-absent now, to the ones having previously-sinned and to all the rest— that if I come again I will not spare you, 3 since you are seeking a proof of Christ speaking in me, Who is not weak toward you, but is strong in you. 4 For indeed He was crucified because-of weakness[c], but He lives because-of the power of God. For indeed we are weak in Him, but we will live with Him because of the power of God toward you.
Prove Yourselves, That Christ Is In You!
5 Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith! Prove[d] yourselves! Or do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?— unless indeed you are disapproved[e]. 6 But I hope that you will come-to-know that we are not disapproved.
We Are Praying For You
7 And we are praying to God that you may not do anything bad[f]— not in order that we may appear approved[g], but in order that you may be doing the good, and we may be as[h] disapproved. 8 For we cannot do anything against the truth, but [only] for the truth. 9 For we are rejoicing whenever we are weak but you are strong. This also we are praying— your restoration[i].
I Am Writing So I Don’t Have To Act Severely When I Come
10 For this reason I am writing these things while absent— in order that while being-present, I may not act severely[j] according-to[k] the authority which the Lord gave me for building-up and not for tearing-down.
11 Finally, brothers, be rejoicing[l], be restored[m], be exhorted[n], be thinking the same thing, be living-in-peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you. 12 Greet one another with a holy kiss. 13 All the saints greet you. 14 The grace of [o] the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of [p] God and the fellowship of [q] the Holy Spirit be with you all.
- 2 Corinthians 13:1 That is, am ready to come, am intending to come, as clarified by 12:14 and 1:15 (the second planned visit never occurred because Paul changed his plans); or, am coming for an actual visit, implying two previous visits, this verse clarifying 12:14.
- 2 Corinthians 13:2 That is, as when I was present; or, as though being present in spirit (as in 1 Cor 5:3).
- 2 Corinthians 13:4 That is, our weakness (sin); or, Christ’s weakness (His humiliation as a man).
- 2 Corinthians 13:5 Or, Examine. Related to ‘proof’ in v 3.
- 2 Corinthians 13:5 Or, failing-the-test. Related to ‘Prove’.
- 2 Corinthians 13:7 Or, wrong, harmful, evil. That is, such things as named in 12:20-21.
- 2 Corinthians 13:7 That is, because you submitted to and obeyed us.
- 2 Corinthians 13:7 That is, appear disapproved (to some) because your right response eliminated any need for us to prove ourselves by displaying our disciplinary power.
- 2 Corinthians 13:9 Or, completion, maturation.
- 2 Corinthians 13:10 Or, sharply, harshly.
- 2 Corinthians 13:10 Or, based on.
- 2 Corinthians 13:11 Or, farewell.
- 2 Corinthians 13:11 Or, put in order, made complete.
- 2 Corinthians 13:11 Or, encouraged.
- 2 Corinthians 13:14 That is, proceeding from, bestowed by Christ.
- 2 Corinthians 13:14 That is, from; or, produced by God.
- 2 Corinthians 13:14 That is, produced by; or, with the Spirit.