2 Corinthians 10:14-16
New English Translation
14 For we were not overextending ourselves, as though we did not reach as far as you, because we were the first to reach as far as you with the gospel about Christ.[a] 15 Nor do we boast beyond certain limits[b] in the work[c] done by others, but we hope[d] that as your faith continues to grow, our work may be greatly expanded[e] among you according to our limits,[f] 16 so that we may preach the gospel in the regions that lie beyond you, and not boast of work already done in another person’s area.Read full chapter
- 2 Corinthians 10:14 tn Grk “with the gospel of Christ,” but since Χριστοῦ (Christou) is clearly an objective genitive here, it is better to translate “with the gospel about Christ.”
- 2 Corinthians 10:15 tn Or “boast excessively.” The phrase εἰς τὰ ἄμετρα (eis ta ametra) is an idiom; literally it means “into that which is not measured,” that is, a point on a scale that goes beyond what might be expected (L&N 78.27).
- 2 Corinthians 10:15 tn Or “in the labors.”
- 2 Corinthians 10:15 tn Grk “but we have the hope.”
- 2 Corinthians 10:15 tn Or “greatly enlarged.”
- 2 Corinthians 10:15 tn That is, Paul’s work might be greatly expanded within the area of activity assigned to him by God.