1 Corinthians 6:12-20
Holman Christian Standard Bible
Glorifying God in Body and Spirit
12 “Everything is permissible(A) for me,”[a] but not everything is helpful. “Everything is permissible for me,” but I will not be brought under the control of anything. 13 “Food(B) for the stomach and the stomach for food,” but God will do away with both of them.[b] The body is not for sexual immorality(C) but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 14 God raised up the Lord and will also raise us up by His power.(D) 15 Don’t you know that your bodies are a part of Christ’s body?(E) So should I take a part of Christ’s body and make it part of a prostitute? Absolutely not! 16 Don’t you know that anyone joined to a prostitute is one body with her? For Scripture says, The two will become one flesh.(F)[c] 17 But anyone joined(G) to the Lord is one spirit(H) with Him.
18 Run(I) from sexual immorality! “Every sin a person can commit is outside the body.”[d] On the contrary, the person who is sexually immoral(J) sins against his own body. 19 Don’t you know that your body is a sanctuary(K) of the Holy Spirit(L) who is in you,(M) whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought(N) at a price. Therefore glorify God in your body.[e]Read full chapter
- 1 Corinthians 6:12 The words in quotation marks are most likely slogans used by some Corinthian Christians and corrected by Paul.
- 1 Corinthians 6:13 Lit both it and them
- 1 Corinthians 6:16 Gn 2:24
- 1 Corinthians 6:18 See note at 1Co 6:12-13.
- 1 Corinthians 6:20 Other mss add and in your spirit, which belong to God.