1 Samuel 15:1-3
New English Translation
Saul Is Rejected as King
15 Then Samuel said to Saul, “I was the one the Lord sent to anoint you as king over his people Israel. Now listen to what the Lord says.[a] 2 Here is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies has said: ‘I carefully observed how the Amalekites opposed[b] Israel along the way when Israel[c] came up from Egypt. 3 So go now and strike down the Amalekites. Destroy everything they have. Don’t spare[d] them. Put them to death—man, woman, child, infant, ox, sheep, camel, and donkey alike.’”Read full chapter
- 1 Samuel 15:1 tn Heb “to the voice of the words of the Lord” (so KJV).
- 1 Samuel 15:2 tn Heb “what Amalek did to Israel, how he placed against him.”
- 1 Samuel 15:2 tn Heb “he”; the referent (Israel) has been specified in the translation for clarity.
- 1 Samuel 15:3 tn Or perhaps “don’t take pity on” (cf. CEV).
1 Samuel 15:1-3
New International Version
The Lord Rejects Saul as King
15 Samuel said to Saul, “I am the one the Lord sent to anoint(A) you king over his people Israel; so listen now to the message from the Lord. 2 This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘I will punish the Amalekites(B) for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. 3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally(C) destroy[a] all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’”Read full chapter
- 1 Samuel 15:3 The Hebrew term refers to the irrevocable giving over of things or persons to the Lord, often by totally destroying them; also in verses 8, 9, 15, 18, 20 and 21.