1 Peter 5
Holman Christian Standard Bible
About the Elders
5 Therefore, as a fellow elder and witness(A) to the sufferings of the Messiah and also a participant in the glory about to be revealed,(B) I exhort the elders among you: 2 Shepherd God’s flock among you,(C) not overseeing[a] out of compulsion but freely, according to God’s will;[b] not for the money but eagerly; 3 not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. 4 And when the chief Shepherd(D) appears, you will receive the unfading crown(E) of glory.
5 In the same way, you younger men, be subject to the elders. And all of you clothe yourselves with[c] humility toward one another, because
8 Be serious!(J) Be alert!(K) Your adversary the Devil(L) is prowling around like a roaring lion, looking for anyone he can devour. 9 Resist him(M) and be firm in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are being experienced by your fellow believers throughout the world.
10 Now the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory(N) in Christ Jesus, will personally[f] restore, establish, strengthen, and support you after you have suffered a little.[g] 11 The dominion[h] belongs to Him forever.[i] Amen.
12 I have written you this brief letter through Silvanus[j](O) (I know him to be a faithful brother) to encourage you and to testify that this is the true grace of God. Take your stand in it! 13 The church in Babylon,[k](P) also chosen, sends you greetings, as does Mark, my son. 14 Greet one another with a kiss of love.(Q) Peace(R) to all of you who are in Christ.[l]
- 1 Peter 5:2 Other mss omit overseeing
- 1 Peter 5:2 Other mss omit according to God’s will
- 1 Peter 5:5 Lit you tie around yourselves
- 1 Peter 5:5 Pr 3:34 LXX
- 1 Peter 5:6 Lit in time
- 1 Peter 5:10 Lit Himself
- 1 Peter 5:10 Or a little while, or to a small extent
- 1 Peter 5:11 Other mss read dominion and glory; other mss read glory and dominion
- 1 Peter 5:11 Other mss read forever and ever
- 1 Peter 5:12 Or Silas; Ac 15:22-32; 16:19-40; 17:1-16
- 1 Peter 5:13 Probably refers to Rome
- 1 Peter 5:14 Other mss read Christ Jesus. Amen.