1 Peter 5
Disciples’ Literal New Testament
So Elders, Lead By Example
5 Therefore[a] I exhort the elders among you, I the fellow-elder and witness of the sufferings of Christ, the sharer[b] also of the glory going-to be revealed: 2 Shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising-oversight— not by-compulsion[c], but willingly[d], according to God; nor greedily, but eagerly; 3 nor as lording-over[e] your lots[f], but being patterns for the flock. 4 And the Chief-shepherd having appeared, you will receive the unfading crown of [g] glory.
Young Men, Follow
5 Likewise, younger men— be subject to the[h] elders.
Everyone, Be Humble And Keep Watch For The Adversary
And everyone— clothe-yourselves-with humblemindedness toward one another. Because “God opposes the proud, but He gives grace to the humble” [Prov 3:34]. 6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God in order that He may exalt you at the proper-time, 7 having cast all your anxiety[i] upon Him, because He is concerned[j] about you. 8 Be sober, keep-watch. Your adversary the devil is walking-around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour— 9 whom resist, firm in the[k] faith, knowing that the same kinds of sufferings are being accomplished[l] by your brotherhood in the world.
And The God of All Grace Will Establish You After Your Sufferings
10 And the God of all grace, the One having called you into His eternal glory in Christ Jesus— you having suffered a little— will Himself restore, support, strengthen, establish you. 11 To Him be the dominion forever, amen.
12 I wrote to you through Silvanus, the faithful brother, as I count him, with a few words exhorting and bearing-witness that this[m] is the true grace of God— in which, stand [firm]. 13 She in Babylon[n] chosen-with you greets you. Also Mark, my son. 14 Greet one another with a kiss of love. Peace to you, to all the ones in Christ.
- 1 Peter 5:1 In these circumstances and to this end, I exhort you as follows.
- 1 Peter 5:1 That is, former sharer (at the transfiguration, 2 Pet 1:17); or, future sharer with you.
- 1 Peter 5:2 Or, out of obligation, by necessity; by being forced into this role.
- 1 Peter 5:2 Or, by-choice, voluntarily.
- 1 Peter 5:3 Or, domineering, ruling-over.
- 1 Peter 5:3 That is, the ones allotted to your charge by God; those for whom you are responsible.
- 1 Peter 5:4 That is, consisting of, belonging to, characterized by.
- 1 Peter 5:5 Or, your. That is, your leaders just mentioned; or, your elders in general, older people.
- 1 Peter 5:7 Or, care, concern, worry.
- 1 Peter 5:7 Lit, it is a concern to Him about you.
- 1 Peter 5:9 Or, in your faith.
- 1 Peter 5:9 Or, paid; that is, knowing that the same debt of sufferings is being paid.
- 1 Peter 5:12 That is, this of which Peter has written and taught in this letter.
- 1 Peter 5:13 Peter may be referring to a church in Rome.