1 Peter 1
Disciples’ Literal New Testament
1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ to the chosen pilgrims[a] of the dispersion of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bythinia, 2 according-to[b] the foreknowledge of God the Father, in[c] the sanctification[d] of the Spirit, for[e] obedience and the sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: May grace and peace be multiplied to you.
Blessed Be God For Our Present And Future Salvation, Which Was Prophesied Long Ago
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the One having caused us to be born-again[f] according to His great mercy to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an undecayable[g] and undefiled and unfading inheritance having been reserved[h] in the heavens for you— 5 the ones being guarded by the power of God through faith for[i] a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time,
6 ... in which you are rejoicing-greatly, [although] right-now for a little while, if it is necessary, having been grieved by various trials 7 in order that the genuineness of your faith— being more-valuable than gold (which is perishing), though being tested by fire— may be found resulting-in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ,
8 ... Whom not having seen, you are loving; in Whom— right-now not seeing Him, but believing— you are rejoicing-greatly with inexpressible[j] and glorified joy 9 while receiving[k] the outcome[l] of your faith, the salvation of your souls,
10 ... concerning which salvation prophets sought-out and searched-out— the ones having prophesied about the grace for[m] you— 11 searching for what person[n] or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ in them was indicating while predicting the sufferings for Christ and the glories after these, 12 to whom it was revealed that they were ministering them not for themselves, but for you,
... which things now were declared to you through the ones having announced-the-good-news-to you by the Holy Spirit having been sent-forth from heaven, into which things angels desire to look.
In Light of What God Has Done:
Put Your Hope Completely Upon Your Coming Salvation
Be Holy In All Your Conduct
14 As children of [r] obedience not being conformed[s] to the former desires in-connection-with your ignorance, 15 but in accordance with the holy One having called you— be holy yourselves also in all your conduct[t]. 16 Because it has been written that “You shall be holy, because I am holy” [Lev 19:2].
Live Out Your Days In The Fear of God
17 And if you are calling-upon as Father the One judging without-respect-of-persons according to the work of each person— conduct the time of your stay[u] with fear[v], 18 knowing that you were redeemed from your futile[w] way-of-life handed-down-from-your-fathers not with perishable things, silver or gold, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without-blemish and without-spot; 20 He having been foreknown before the foundation of the world but having appeared[x] at the last of times for your sake, 21 the believers through Him in God— the One having raised Him from the dead and having given Him glory— so that your faith and hope are in God.
Love One Another From a Pure Heart
22 Having purified your souls in[y] obedience of the truth for a sincere[z] brotherly-love— love one another fervently from a pure heart, 23 having been born-again not from perishable seed but imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God. 24 Because “All flesh is like grass and all its glory like a flower of grass. The grass was dried-up and the flower fell-off. 25 But the word of the Lord abides forever” [Isa 40:6-8]— and this is the word having been announced-as-good-news to you.
- 1 Peter 1:1 That is, temporary residents.
- 1 Peter 1:2 Or, based on.
- 1 Peter 1:2 Or, in connection with, in the domain of.
- 1 Peter 1:2 Or, holiness, holy-making.
- 1 Peter 1:2 Or, resulting in.
- 1 Peter 1:3 caused us to be born again. Or, regenerated us, fathered us again, given us a new birth.
- 1 Peter 1:4 Or, imperishable.
- 1 Peter 1:4 Or, kept, protected, held.
- 1 Peter 1:5 Or, until.
- 1 Peter 1:8 Or, untellable, unspeakable.
- 1 Peter 1:9 Or, obtaining.
- 1 Peter 1:9 Or, goal, end.
- 1 Peter 1:10 Or, the grace that would come to you.
- 1 Peter 1:11 Or, time.
- 1 Peter 1:13 That is, having prepared your minds for exertion or work.
- 1 Peter 1:13 Or, well-balanced, clear-headed.
- 1 Peter 1:13 Or, fully, totally.
- 1 Peter 1:14 That is, characterized by.
- 1 Peter 1:14 Or, conforming yourselves.
- 1 Peter 1:15 Or, behavior, way of life.
- 1 Peter 1:17 That is, stay as foreigners.
- 1 Peter 1:17 Or, reverence.
- 1 Peter 1:18 Or, useless, pointless, worthless.
- 1 Peter 1:20 Or, having been made known.
- 1 Peter 1:22 Or, by.
- 1 Peter 1:22 Or, unhypocritical.