1 Peter 3:5-7
Disciples’ Literal New Testament
5 For in this manner formerly also the holy wives putting-hope in God were adorning themselves, being subject to their own husbands, 6 as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord[a]— of whom[b] you became children while[c] doing-good and not fearing any terror[d].
Honor Your Wives As Fellow Heirs of The Gift of Life
7 Husbands likewise, living-with them[e] according-to[f] knowledge[g], showing honor to the feminine[h] one as to[i] the weaker vessel[j], as indeed to your fellow-heirs of the grace[k] of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.Read full chapter
- 1 Peter 3:6 Or, sir. See Gen 18:12.
- 1 Peter 3:6 That is, Sarah.
- 1 Peter 3:6 That is, by, as long as you are, since you are, as ones.
- 1 Peter 3:6 Or, intimidation, fright.
- 1 Peter 3:7 living with them... fellow-heirs. Or, living with the feminine one according-to knowledge, as with the weaker vessel, showing honor as indeed to fellow heirs.
- 1 Peter 3:7 Or, in harmony with, based on.
- 1 Peter 3:7 That is, Christian knowledge of her status before God. Or, understanding; that is, in an understanding way, with consideration.
- 1 Peter 3:7 Or, womanly one, female.
- 1 Peter 3:7 That is, as appropriate to.
- 1 Peter 3:7 This describes her as God’s creation, rather than the husband’s partner.
- 1 Peter 3:7 That is, the grace-gift of spiritual life, which they possess equally.
1 Peter 3:5-7
New International Version
5 For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God(A) used to adorn themselves.(B) They submitted themselves to their own husbands, 6 like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord.(C) You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear.
7 Husbands,(D) in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.Read full chapter