1 Chronicles 21:20-30
New English Translation
20 While Ornan was threshing wheat, he turned and saw the messenger, and he and his four sons hid themselves. 21 When David came to Ornan, Ornan looked and saw David; he came out from the threshing floor and bowed to David with his face[a] to the ground. 22 David said to Ornan, “Sell me the threshing floor[b] so I can build[c] on it an altar for the Lord—I’ll pay top price[d]—so that the plague may be removed[e] from the people.” 23 Ornan told David, “You can have it![f] My master, the king, may do what he wants.[g] Look, I am giving you the oxen for burnt sacrifices, the threshing sledges for wood, and the wheat for an offering. I give it all to you.” 24 King David replied to Ornan, “No, I insist on buying it for top price.[h] I will not offer to the Lord what belongs to you or offer a burnt sacrifice[i] that cost me nothing.[j] 25 So David bought the place from Ornan for 600 pieces of gold.[k] 26 David built there an altar to the Lord and offered burnt sacrifices and peace offerings.[l] He called out to the Lord, and the Lord[m] responded by sending fire from the sky and consuming the burnt sacrifice on the altar. 27 The Lord ordered the messenger[n] to put his sword back into its sheath.
28 At that time, when David saw that the Lord responded to him at the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite, he sacrificed there. 29 Now the Lord’s tabernacle (which Moses had made in the wilderness) and the altar for burnt sacrifices were at that time at the worship center[o] in Gibeon. 30 But David could not go before it to seek God’s will, for he was afraid of the sword of the angel of the Lord.Read full chapter
- 1 Chronicles 21:21 tn Heb “nostrils.”
- 1 Chronicles 21:22 tn Heb “the place of the threshing floor.”
- 1 Chronicles 21:22 tn Following the imperative, the prefixed verbal form with vav (ו) conjunctive here indicates the immediate purpose: “so I can build.”
- 1 Chronicles 21:22 tn Heb “For full silver sell to me.”
- 1 Chronicles 21:22 tn Following the imperative and first person prefixed verbal form with vav (ו) conjunctive, this third person prefixed verbal form with vav conjunctive introduces the ultimate purpose: “so the plague may be removed.”
- 1 Chronicles 21:23 tn Heb “take for yourself.”
- 1 Chronicles 21:23 tn Heb “what is good in his eyes.”
- 1 Chronicles 21:24 tn Heb “No, for buying I will buy for full silver.” The infinitive absolute precedes the finite verb for emphasis.
- 1 Chronicles 21:24 tc The parallel text in 2 Sam 24:24 has the plural “burnt sacrifices.”
- 1 Chronicles 21:24 tn Or “without [paying] compensation.”
- 1 Chronicles 21:25 tc The parallel text of 2 Sam 24:24 says David bought the threshing floor and the oxen for “fifty pieces of silver.” This would have been about 20 ounces (568 grams) of silver by weight.tn Heb “six hundred shekels of gold.” This would have been about 15 lbs. (6.8 kg) of gold by weight.
- 1 Chronicles 21:26 tn Or “tokens of peace.”
- 1 Chronicles 21:26 tn Heb “he”; the referent (the Lord) has been specified in the translation for clarity.
- 1 Chronicles 21:27 tn Heb “spoke to the messenger.”
- 1 Chronicles 21:29 tn Or “high place.”
NET Bible® copyright ©1996-2017 by Biblical Studies Press, L.L.C. http://netbible.com All rights reserved.