1 Chronicles 1
New King James Version
The Family of Adam—Seth to Abraham(A)
5 (E)The sons of Japheth were Gomer, Magog, Madai, Javan, Tubal, Meshech, and Tiras. 6 The sons of Gomer were Ashkenaz, [b]Diphath, and Togarmah. 7 The sons of Javan were Elishah, [c]Tarshishah, Kittim, and [d]Rodanim.
8 (F)The sons of Ham were Cush, Mizraim, Put, and Canaan. 9 The sons of Cush were Seba, Havilah, [e]Sabta, [f]Raama, and Sabtecha. The sons of Raama were Sheba and Dedan. 10 Cush (G)begot Nimrod; he began to be a mighty one on the earth. 11 Mizraim begot Ludim, Anamim, Lehabim, Naphtuhim, 12 Pathrusim, Casluhim (from whom came the Philistines and the (H)Caphtorim). 13 (I)Canaan begot Sidon, his firstborn, and Heth; 14 the Jebusite, the Amorite, and the Girgashite; 15 the Hivite, the Arkite, and the Sinite; 16 the Arvadite, the Zemarite, and the Hamathite.
17 The sons of (J)Shem were Elam, Asshur, (K)Arphaxad, Lud, Aram, Uz, Hul, Gether, and [g]Meshech. 18 Arphaxad begot Shelah, and Shelah begot Eber. 19 To Eber were born two sons: the name of one was [h]Peleg, for in his days the [i]earth was divided; and his brother’s name was Joktan. 20 (L)Joktan begot Almodad, Sheleph, Hazarmaveth, Jerah, 21 Hadoram, Uzal, Diklah, 22 [j]Ebal, Abimael, Sheba, 23 Ophir, Havilah, and Jobab. All these were the sons of Joktan.
The Family of Ishmael(S)
29 These are their genealogies: The (T)firstborn of Ishmael was Nebajoth; then Kedar, Adbeel, Mibsam, 30 Mishma, Dumah, Massa, [k]Hadad, Tema, 31 Jetur, Naphish, and Kedemah. These were the sons of Ishmael.
The Family of Keturah(U)
32 Now (V)the sons born to Keturah, Abraham’s concubine, were Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah. The sons of Jokshan were Sheba and Dedan. 33 The sons of Midian were Ephah, Epher, Hanoch, Abida, and Eldaah. All these were the children of Keturah.
The Family of Isaac(W)
34 And (X)Abraham begot Isaac. (Y)The sons of Isaac were Esau and Israel. 35 The sons of (Z)Esau were Eliphaz, Reuel, Jeush, Jaalam, and Korah. 36 And the sons of Eliphaz were Teman, Omar, [l]Zephi, Gatam, and Kenaz; and by (AA)Timna, Amalek. 37 The sons of Reuel were Nahath, Zerah, Shammah, and Mizzah.
The Family of Seir(AB)
38 (AC)The sons of Seir were Lotan, Shobal, Zibeon, Anah, Dishon, Ezer, and Dishan. 39 And the sons of Lotan were Hori and [m]Homam; Lotan’s sister was Timna. 40 The sons of Shobal were [n]Alian, Manahath, Ebal, [o]Shephi, and Onam. The sons of Zibeon were Ajah and Anah. 41 The son of Anah was (AD)Dishon. The sons of Dishon were [p]Hamran, Eshban, Ithran, and Cheran. 42 The sons of Ezer were Bilhan, Zaavan, and [q]Jaakan. The sons of Dishan were Uz and Aran.
The Kings of Edom(AE)
43 Now these were the (AF)kings who reigned in the land of Edom before a king reigned over the children of Israel: Bela the son of Beor, and the name of his city was Dinhabah. 44 And when Bela died, Jobab the son of Zerah of Bozrah reigned in his place. 45 When Jobab died, Husham of the land of the Temanites reigned in his place. 46 And when Husham died, Hadad the son of Bedad, who [r]attacked Midian in the field of Moab, reigned in his place. The name of his city was Avith. 47 When Hadad died, Samlah of Masrekah reigned in his place. 48 (AG)And when Samlah died, Saul of Rehoboth-by-the-River reigned in his place. 49 When Saul died, Baal-Hanan the son of Achbor reigned in his place. 50 And when Baal-Hanan died, [s]Hadad reigned in his place; and the name of his city was [t]Pai. His wife’s name was Mehetabel the daughter of Matred, the daughter of Mezahab. 51 Hadad died also. And the chiefs of Edom were Chief Timnah, Chief [u]Aliah, Chief Jetheth, 52 Chief Aholibamah, Chief Elah, Chief Pinon, 53 Chief Kenaz, Chief Teman, Chief Mibzar, 54 Chief Magdiel, and Chief Iram. These were the chiefs of Edom.
- 1 Chronicles 1:4 So with MT, Vg.; LXX adds the sons of Noah
- 1 Chronicles 1:6 Riphath, Gen. 10:3
- 1 Chronicles 1:7 Tarshish, Gen. 10:4
- 1 Chronicles 1:7 Dodanim, Gen. 10:4
- 1 Chronicles 1:9 Sabtah, Gen. 10:7
- 1 Chronicles 1:9 Raamah, Gen. 10:7
- 1 Chronicles 1:17 Mash, Gen. 10:23
- 1 Chronicles 1:19 Lit. Division, Gen. 10:25
- 1 Chronicles 1:19 Or land
- 1 Chronicles 1:22 Obal, Gen. 10:28
- 1 Chronicles 1:30 Hadar, Gen. 25:15
- 1 Chronicles 1:36 Zepho, Gen. 36:11
- 1 Chronicles 1:39 Hemam or Heman, Gen. 36:22
- 1 Chronicles 1:40 Alvan, Gen. 36:23
- 1 Chronicles 1:40 Shepho, Gen. 36:23
- 1 Chronicles 1:41 Hemdan, Gen. 36:26
- 1 Chronicles 1:42 Akan, Gen. 36:27
- 1 Chronicles 1:46 Lit. struck
- 1 Chronicles 1:50 Hadar, Gen. 36:39
- 1 Chronicles 1:50 Pau, Gen. 36:39
- 1 Chronicles 1:51 Alvah, Gen. 36:40
1 Chronicles 1
New International Version
Historical Records From Adam to Abraham
To Noah’s Sons
5 The sons[b] of Japheth:
Gomer, Magog, Madai, Javan, Tubal, Meshek and Tiras.
6 The sons of Gomer:
Ashkenaz, Riphath[c] and Togarmah.
7 The sons of Javan:
Elishah, Tarshish, the Kittites and the Rodanites.
8 The sons of Ham:
Cush, Egypt, Put and Canaan.
9 The sons of Cush:
Seba, Havilah, Sabta, Raamah and Sabteka.
The sons of Raamah:
Sheba and Dedan.
10 Cush was the father[d] of
Nimrod, who became a mighty warrior on earth.
11 Egypt was the father of
the Ludites, Anamites, Lehabites, Naphtuhites, 12 Pathrusites, Kasluhites (from whom the Philistines came) and Caphtorites.
13 Canaan was the father of
Sidon his firstborn,[e] and of the Hittites, 14 Jebusites, Amorites, Girgashites, 15 Hivites, Arkites, Sinites, 16 Arvadites, Zemarites and Hamathites.
17 The sons of Shem:
Elam, Ashur, Arphaxad, Lud and Aram.
The sons of Aram:[f]
Uz, Hul, Gether and Meshek.
18 Arphaxad was the father of Shelah,
and Shelah the father of Eber.
19 Two sons were born to Eber:
One was named Peleg,[g] because in his time the earth was divided; his brother was named Joktan.
20 Joktan was the father of
Almodad, Sheleph, Hazarmaveth, Jerah, 21 Hadoram, Uzal, Diklah, 22 Obal,[h] Abimael, Sheba, 23 Ophir, Havilah and Jobab. All these were sons of Joktan.
25 Eber, Peleg, Reu,
26 Serug, Nahor, Terah
27 and Abram (that is, Abraham).
The Family of Abraham
28 The sons of Abraham:
Isaac and Ishmael.
Descendants of Hagar(O)
29 These were their descendants:
Nebaioth the firstborn of Ishmael, Kedar, Adbeel, Mibsam, 30 Mishma, Dumah, Massa, Hadad, Tema, 31 Jetur, Naphish and Kedemah. These were the sons of Ishmael.
Descendants of Keturah(P)
32 The sons born to Keturah, Abraham’s concubine:(Q)
Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak and Shuah.
The sons of Jokshan:
Sheba and Dedan.(R)
33 The sons of Midian:
Ephah, Epher, Hanok, Abida and Eldaah.
All these were descendants of Keturah.
Descendants of Sarah(S)
35 The sons of Esau:(W)
Eliphaz, Reuel,(X) Jeush, Jalam and Korah.
36 The sons of Eliphaz:
Teman, Omar, Zepho,[j] Gatam and Kenaz;
37 The sons of Reuel:(Z)
Nahath, Zerah, Shammah and Mizzah.
The People of Seir in Edom(AA)
38 The sons of Seir:
Lotan, Shobal, Zibeon, Anah, Dishon, Ezer and Dishan.
39 The sons of Lotan:
Hori and Homam. Timna was Lotan’s sister.
40 The sons of Shobal:
Alvan,[l] Manahath, Ebal, Shepho and Onam.
The sons of Zibeon:
Aiah and Anah.(AB)
41 The son of Anah:
The sons of Dishon:
Hemdan,[m] Eshban, Ithran and Keran.
42 The sons of Ezer:
Bilhan, Zaavan and Akan.[n]
The sons of Dishan[o]:
Uz and Aran.
The Rulers of Edom(AC)
43 These were the kings who reigned in Edom before any Israelite king reigned:
Bela son of Beor, whose city was named Dinhabah.
44 When Bela died, Jobab son of Zerah from Bozrah succeeded him as king.
45 When Jobab died, Husham from the land of the Temanites(AD) succeeded him as king.
46 When Husham died, Hadad son of Bedad, who defeated Midian in the country of Moab, succeeded him as king. His city was named Avith.
47 When Hadad died, Samlah from Masrekah succeeded him as king.
48 When Samlah died, Shaul from Rehoboth on the river[p] succeeded him as king.
49 When Shaul died, Baal-Hanan son of Akbor succeeded him as king.
50 When Baal-Hanan died, Hadad succeeded him as king. His city was named Pau,[q] and his wife’s name was Mehetabel daughter of Matred, the daughter of Me-Zahab. 51 Hadad also died.
The chiefs of Edom were:
Timna, Alvah, Jetheth, 52 Oholibamah, Elah, Pinon, 53 Kenaz, Teman, Mibzar, 54 Magdiel and Iram. These were the chiefs of Edom.
- 1 Chronicles 1:4 Septuagint; Hebrew does not have this line.
- 1 Chronicles 1:5 Sons may mean descendants or successors or nations; also in verses 6-9, 17 and 23.
- 1 Chronicles 1:6 Many Hebrew manuscripts and Vulgate (see also Septuagint and Gen. 10:3); most Hebrew manuscripts Diphath
- 1 Chronicles 1:10 Father may mean ancestor or predecessor or founder; also in verses 11, 13, 18 and 20.
- 1 Chronicles 1:13 Or of the Sidonians, the foremost
- 1 Chronicles 1:17 One Hebrew manuscript and some Septuagint manuscripts (see also Gen. 10:23); most Hebrew manuscripts do not have this line.
- 1 Chronicles 1:19 Peleg means division.
- 1 Chronicles 1:22 Some Hebrew manuscripts and Syriac (see also Gen. 10:28); most Hebrew manuscripts Ebal
- 1 Chronicles 1:24 Hebrew; some Septuagint manuscripts Arphaxad, Cainan (see also note at Gen. 11:10)
- 1 Chronicles 1:36 Many Hebrew manuscripts, some Septuagint manuscripts and Syriac (see also Gen. 36:11); most Hebrew manuscripts Zephi
- 1 Chronicles 1:36 Some Septuagint manuscripts (see also Gen. 36:12); Hebrew Gatam, Kenaz, Timna and Amalek
- 1 Chronicles 1:40 Many Hebrew manuscripts and some Septuagint manuscripts (see also Gen. 36:23); most Hebrew manuscripts Alian
- 1 Chronicles 1:41 Many Hebrew manuscripts and some Septuagint manuscripts (see also Gen. 36:26); most Hebrew manuscripts Hamran
- 1 Chronicles 1:42 Many Hebrew and Septuagint manuscripts (see also Gen. 36:27); most Hebrew manuscripts Zaavan, Jaakan
- 1 Chronicles 1:42 See Gen. 36:28; Hebrew Dishon, a variant of Dishan
- 1 Chronicles 1:48 Possibly the Euphrates
- 1 Chronicles 1:50 Many Hebrew manuscripts, some Septuagint manuscripts, Vulgate and Syriac (see also Gen. 36:39); most Hebrew manuscripts Pai