New American Standard Bible
5 (A)Why are you [a](B)in despair, my soul?
And why are you (C)restless within me?
(D)Wait for God, for I will [b]again praise [c]Him
For the [d](E)help of His [e]presence, my God.
6 My soul is [f]in despair within me;
Therefore I (F)remember You from (G)the land of the Jordan
And the [g]peaks of (H)Hermon, from Mount Mizar.
7 Deep calls to deep at the sound of Your waterfalls;
All Your (I)breakers and Your waves have passed over me.
8 The Lord will (J)send His goodness in the daytime;
And His song will be with me (K)in the night,
A prayer to (L)the God of my life.
9 I will say to God (M)my rock, “Why have You forgotten me?
Why do I go about (N)mourning [h]because of the (O)oppression of the enemy?”
10 As a shattering of my bones, my adversaries taunt me,
While they (P)say to me all day long, “Where is your God?”
11 (Q)Why are you [i]in despair, my soul?
And why are you restless within me?
Wait for God, for I will again praise [j]Him
For the [k]help of His presence, my God.
- Psalm 42:5 Lit dissolved away
- Psalm 42:5 Or still
- Psalm 42:5 Some ancient versions Him, the help of my face and my God
- Psalm 42:5 Or saving acts of
- Psalm 42:5 Or presence. O my God, my soul...
- Psalm 42:6 Or dissolved away
- Psalm 42:6 Lit Hermons
- Psalm 42:9 Or while the enemy oppresses
- Psalm 42:11 Or dissolved away
- Psalm 42:11 As in some ancient mss, cf. v 5; MT Him, the help of my face and my God
- Psalm 42:11 Or saving acts of