New American Standard Bible
The Genealogy of Jesus the Messiah
2 Abraham [d]was the father of Isaac, [e]Isaac the father of Jacob, and Jacob the father of [f]Judah and his brothers. 3 Judah was the father of Perez and Zerah by Tamar, (C)Perez was the father of Hezron, and Hezron the father of [g]Ram. 4 Ram was the father of Amminadab, Amminadab the father of Nahshon, and Nahshon the father of Salmon. 5 Salmon was the father of Boaz by Rahab, Boaz was the father of Obed by Ruth, and Obed the father of Jesse. 6 Jesse was the father of David the king.
David (D)was the father of Solomon by [h]Bathsheba who had been the wife of Uriah. 7 Solomon (E)was the father of Rehoboam, Rehoboam the father of Abijah, and Abijah the father of [i]Asa. 8 Asa was the father of Jehoshaphat, Jehoshaphat the father of [j]Joram, and Joram the father of Uzziah. 9 Uzziah was the father of [k]Jotham, Jotham the father of Ahaz, and Ahaz the father of Hezekiah. 10 Hezekiah was the father of Manasseh, Manasseh the father of [l]Amon, and Amon the (F)father of Josiah. 11 Josiah became the father of [m]Jeconiah and his brothers, at the time of the (G)deportation to Babylon.
12 After the (H)deportation to Babylon: Jeconiah became the father of [n]Shealtiel, and Shealtiel the father of Zerubbabel. 13 Zerubbabel was the father of [o]Abihud, Abihud the father of Eliakim, and Eliakim the father of Azor. 14 Azor was the father of Zadok, Zadok the father of Achim, and Achim the father of Eliud. 15 Eliud was the father of Eleazar, Eleazar the father of Matthan, and Matthan the father of Jacob. 16 Jacob was the father of Joseph the husband of Mary, by whom Jesus was born, (I)who is called [p]the Messiah.
17 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; from David to the (J)deportation to Babylon, fourteen generations; and from the (K)deportation to Babylon to [q]the Messiah, fourteen generations.
Conception and Birth of Jesus
18 Now the birth of Jesus [r]Christ was as follows: when His (L)mother Mary had been [s]betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was (M)found to be with child by the Holy Spirit. 19 And Joseph her husband, being a righteous man and not wanting to disgrace her, planned [t](N)to send her away secretly. 20 But when he had considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “(O)Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for [u]the Child who has been [v]conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 She will bear a Son; and (P)you shall call His name Jesus, for [w]He (Q)will save His people from their sins.” 22 Now all this [x]took place to fulfill what was (R)spoken by the Lord through the prophet: 23 “(S)Behold, the virgin shall be with (T)child and shall bear a Son, and they shall call His name [y]Immanuel,” which translated means, “(U)God with us.” 24 And Joseph [z]awoke from his sleep and did as the angel of the Lord commanded him, and took Mary as his wife, 25 [aa]but kept her a virgin until she (V)gave birth to a Son; and (W)he called His name Jesus.
- Matthew 1:1 Lit book
- Matthew 1:1 Heb Yeshua (Joshua), meaning The Lord saves
- Matthew 1:1 Gr Christos (Christ), Gr for Messiah, which means Anointed One
- Matthew 1:2 Lit fathered, and throughout the genealogy
- Matthew 1:2 Lit and..., and throughout the genealogy
- Matthew 1:2 Gr Judas; names of people in the Old Testament are given in their Old Testament form
- Matthew 1:3 Gr Aram
- Matthew 1:6 Lit her of Uriah
- Matthew 1:7 Gr Asaph
- Matthew 1:8 Also Gr for Jehoram in 2 King 8:16; cf 1 Chron 3:11
- Matthew 1:9 Gr Joatham
- Matthew 1:10 Gr Amos
- Matthew 1:11 Jehoiachin in 2 Kin 24:15
- Matthew 1:12 Gr Salathiel
- Matthew 1:13 Gr Abioud, usually spelled Abiud
- Matthew 1:16 Gr Christos (Christ)
- Matthew 1:17 Gr Christos (Christ)
- Matthew 1:18 I.e. The Messiah
- Matthew 1:18 The first stage of marriage in Jewish culture, usually lasting for a year before the wedding night, more legal than an engagement
- Matthew 1:19 Or to divorce her
- Matthew 1:20 Lit that which
- Matthew 1:20 Lit begotten
- Matthew 1:21 Lit He Himself
- Matthew 1:22 Lit has happened
- Matthew 1:23 Or Emmanuel
- Matthew 1:24 Lit got up
- Matthew 1:25 Lit and was not knowing her