Bible translation is a big and complex subject–and so it’s no surprise that plenty of people are discussing the ins and outs of translation online. One of the better blogs devoted to discussing Bible translation and related issues is the Better Bibles Blog. Lots of good discussion there (and many good related blogs listed in the blogroll, if you want to explore further). If you want to get a feel for the discussion there, here are some places you might start:
- “man of my peace”: on the task of translating an interesting Hebrew idiom into modern English.
- a thought-provoking take on the issue of gender-inclusion in Bible translation–it’s not what you think!
- more recently, a light-hearted post about how you might translate the word “kiss” into a language that has no word for it–a nice illustration of one common and tricky problem in translating the Bible from its original languages.
It’s great to see such high-quality discussion of Bible translation! Well worth adding to your feed reader.
- Why “Christ” instead of “messiah”? And other translation questions
- Tutorial: viewing multiple Bibles side-by-side
Posted by Andy