Resources » The IVP New Testament Commentary Series » Matthew » ARREST, MARTYRDOM, RESURRECTION (26:1—28:20) » The Risen Christ (28:1-20)
The Risen Christ (28:1-20)
- The Report of the Women (28:1-10)
- God Often Sends His Message Through the Least (28:1)
- God's Power Is Revealed (28:2-3)
- God Is Selective in His Revelation (28:4-10)
- The Report of the Guards (28:11-15)
- The Report of the Church (28:16-20)
The Gospel concludes with the resurrection and the commissioning of the disciples. The gospel is good news because it doesn't end with the cross; following Jesus demands from us all that we are and have, but it gives us a new and eternal life in return. The narrative of the resurrection paves the way for the commissioning: the witness of the women contrasts starkly with the fearful falsehood of the guards and provides a positive model for the witness of the church.
IVP New Testament Commentaries are made available by the generosity of InterVarsity Press.