1:13forty days. Possibly a symbolic reference to the forty years of Israel’s wilderness experience (Deut. 1:3; cf. v. 12 note).
wild animals. This detail emphasizes that the wilderness is a place of curse where the devil is master (Matt. 12:43; cf. Eph. 2:2). Jesus enters this domain and binds the strong man (see note 3:23–27). This is a kind of reenactment of the testing of Adam. Although Adam was in a garden and was not threatened by wild beasts, he fell to Satan’s tempting. In the wilderness, Jesus, the second Adam, begins His defeat of the devil and His work of redemption by passing the test of filial obedience.
angels were ministering. Angels accompanied Israel in the Exodus (Ex. 14:19; 23:20; 32:34; 33:2). Jesus’ experience in the wilderness is a type of that of the Christian in the world, which is experienced as Satan’s domain (Eph. 6:12). See note 10:30.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.