24:14fear the Lord. See 4:24. This response is demanded by the history of God’s faithfulness to His promises in vv. 2–13. The fear of God is associated with knowledge of His grace and is fully compatible with love for Him (Deut. 10:12, 13; Ps. 130:4). Contrast 2:9, where the Canaanites fear God because of His coming judgment; and 7:5, where the Israelites experience His anger.
Put away the gods. This may refer literally to idols, or metaphorically to abandoning the gods they represent, or to both. The goodness of God to Israel (vv. 2–13) demands exclusive allegiance, summed up by the first commandment (Ex. 20:3).
the River. See note on v. 2.
and in Egypt. Israel’s idolatry in Egypt will be remembered by Ezekiel (20:7–10; 23:3–8, 19–21, 27).
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.