25:23the Lord said. God often displayed His sovereign control through prophecies given on the threshold of new historical eras: Adam and Eve (3:15); Noah’s descendants (9:25–27); Abraham (12:1–3); Jacob and Esau (27:27–29, 39, 40); and Joseph and his brothers (37:1–11). See Introduction: Characteristics and Themes.
older shall serve the younger. Jacob owed his supremacy to sovereign election, not natural rights (cf. Deut. 21:15–17). The prophecy found fulfillment as Esau’s descendants, the Edomites, were often subjugated by Israel, and at last were included in the Jewish state during the intertestamental period (1 Sam. 14:47; 2 Sam. 8:13, 14; 2 Kin. 14:7).
God’s choice of Jacob (the younger) over Esau (the older) is a paradigmatic example of divine sovereign election (Rom. 9:9–13, 18–23). God deals justly with all, but He has mercy on some (Matt. 20:1–16).
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.