16:1the month of Abib. In Exodus, the Passover (Ex. 12:1–14) and the Feast of Unleavened Bread (Ex. 12:15–20) were instituted in the “first month” (Ex. 12:2, 18), also called the month of Abib, one of the Canaanite month names (Ex. 13:4; 23:15). The Babylonian name of the first month is Nisan, and Babylonian month names appear in Old Testament books of the exilic and postexilic periods (e.g., Esth. 3:7).
keep the Passover. See notes Ex. 12:1–26. The Passover clearly symbolizes substitution, since the lamb is slain in place of the firstborn. Although the blood of animals could not, in itself, redeem human beings, the Passover lamb was a sacramental symbol pointing forward to the effectual sacrifice of Christ (Heb. 10:1–10). So Paul is fully justified in saying, “Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed” (1 Cor. 5:7).
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.