11:29Mount Gerizim . . . Mount Ebal. The details of this ceremony are provided in chs. 27; 28; the ceremony itself was performed according to Moses’ direction by Joshua (Josh. 8:30–35). The phrases “beyond the Jordan . . . toward the going down of the sun” (v. 30) point to a location in Canaan (i.e., west of the Jordan). According to Gen. 12:6, the “oak of Moreh” is near Shechem. The precise location of Gilgal is uncertain, but it seems to have been near Jericho (Josh. 4:19). The Canaanites inhabited this whole territory, and there is no reason to doubt the usual identification of these mountains as the two mountains near Shechem astride the main north-south road.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.