5:18the day of the Lord. Ultimately, this is the great and terrible “day of the Lord” when He comes in judgment (cf. Is. 2:12; 13:6–13; Obad. 15; Zeph. 1:7, 14). Every Old Testament judgment was also a “day of the Lord,” and anticipated that final day. Joel described it as a day of terrible judgment and destruction (Joel 1:15–20; 2:11), although it would also be accompanied by a redemptive outpouring of God’s Spirit (Joel 2:28–32).
darkness, and not light. The Lord alone has power to make day as dark as night, both literally and figuratively, in judgment (v. 8).
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.